2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

upstream o2 sensor

Old 02-06-2011, 02:10 PM
wlkingdead
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upstream o2 sensor

so here it is

tried replacing my upstream o2 sensor last night and to no surprise it was frozen in place. in our attempts to remove it the sensor snapped and also rounded off the nut. today we tried heat, and penetrating oil but still no luck. my question is, is it safe to drive (obviously not for to long) with no o2 sensor. could serious damage result? there doesn't seem to be any change in the way my truck is running from the short trips i've had to make around town.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
MaximRecoil
Professional

It is no different than driving around with a non-functional pre-cat O2 sensor; it will run poorly, but I doubt it will cause any damage; not in the short-term anyway.

I'm going to be replacing mine as soon as the ones I ordered come in. I plan to try Kano Kroil, as I've heard it is the best or among the best (better than PB Blaster according to many people, and even one informal test I read). Here are some Amazon customer reviews. The only bad reviews on there are from two people complaining about things unrelated to the performance of the product. The following review is particularly relevant:

I used Kroil to remove the upper Oxygen Sensor on the exhaust manifold of my car. These are notorious for being difficult to remove. I put on the Kroil and let it sit for a few minutes and the sensor unscrewed very easily. It practically fell out of the hole. I was impressed.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use something called "heat valve lubricant" its made by mr.goodwrench. gotta get it from a GM tech. this stuff rocks.

Old 02-06-2011, 06:08 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to put a 1/2" breaker bar and a 4 foot pipe on mine to break it loose. FUN! Thought I broke the O2 socket, but it came loose. Put Anti-seize back on when I reinstalled.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:41 PM
wlkingdead
Rookie

bit the bullet today and replaced the whole Y-pipe. the top flanges were pretty rotted anyhow. with the old one removed i tried (just for kicks) to remove the o2 sensor with a pipe wrench. it still wouldn't budge. at least got the pipe for cost from a friend (still $69+ tax) but for a $50 o2 sensor it still end up costing me at least $140. i'm sure it was the stock o2 and it won't happen again, thank god for anti-seize.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Ramtough2001

Originally Posted by wlkingdead
so here it is

tried replacing my upstream o2 sensor last night and to no surprise it was frozen in place. in our attempts to remove it the sensor snapped and also rounded off the nut. today we tried heat, and penetrating oil but still no luck. my question is, is it safe to drive (obviously not for to long) with no o2 sensor. could serious damage result? there doesn't seem to be any change in the way my truck is running from the short trips i've had to make around town.
running your truck without an upstream will confuse the computer on the air to gas ratio which short term isn't terrible you'll get worse gas Milage less power an long term it could stretch out your timing chain happened to my uncles all the time

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: upstream o2 sensor