2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Leaking Power Steering Fluid - 97' Dakota 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:51 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My pulley came off and went back on real easy. I removed the pump with the pulley still attached and set the pump on the garage floor, braced it up against one leg of my workbench. Each leg is made of two 2x4's nailed together, they are very solid and made it a lot easier to work the pulley tool. Seems I remember using a couple of 6" C-clamps to hold the pump against the work bench leg. I guess sometimes when working by yourself you have to come up with ways to get things done. It would have been much easier to buy a pump and new pulley already assembled but I don't think the store where I got my new pump carried the one with a new pulley attached. The ps pulley was easy for me to do but if there is a hard way to do something, you can count on me to find it.

Jimmy

Last edited by 01SilverCC; 03-27-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:05 PM
tylan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
On my V6, we pulled the pump with the pulley still on as I recall- we removed the block side of the mount, not the pump side. Once you pull the battery (we left the tray in) and remove the belt, I would suggest what Jimmy said and just unhook the lines at the rack, the connections are easy to get to, and replace the lines with the pump.

We used a steering wheel puller and torch to get the pulley off. Then we put the pulley in the oven at 250 degrees and zip-tied ice packs to the shaft of the new pump. After an hour in the oven and about 6 ice packs, we mated the two together on the workbench, and put the pump on the motor. The big thing is getting the pulley in the right spot so the belt doesn't slide off.

Wow, kudos for the oven and ice packs idea!

They sound very intimidating though, I might need to think twice about doing it myself.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 PM
tylan
Amateur

Thanks for the responses Jimmy!

Unfortunately my local store sells the pump and pulley separately, they don't come together.

If they were to sell the combo for the 3.9L engine, they would have to include the pump mounting bracket too because it's between the pulley and the pump. I can't even find this kind of set up even on Amazon.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:43 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tylan
Thanks for the responses Jimmy!

Unfortunately my local store sells the pump and pulley separately, they don't come together.

If they were to sell the combo for the 3.9L engine, they would have to include the pump mounting bracket too because it's between the pulley and the pump. I can't even find this kind of set up even on Amazon.
Mine came off with the bracket attached to the pump, as I said before, we took the pulley off with the pump on the bench. Look under the AC compressor, the P/S bracket should bolt to the block with a pair of 1/2" bolts. IIRC once has a 1.5" spacer and holds something else on.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:49 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

these are probably the best pics i got. Look under and to the driver side the compressor pulley and you can see the P/S mount going up at a 45 degree angle. One of the bolts holds the upper coolant hose support.

20130218_140810.jpg

20130218_154827.jpg

Last edited by magnethead; 03-27-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:48 PM
tylan
Amateur

I installed a new pump and fixed the leak. Updates are in the 1st post. Thanks everyone for your help! Cheers!

Quick Reply: Leaking Power Steering Fluid - 97' Dakota 3.9L