2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

brake caliper removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 02:38 PM
ayoung101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake caliper removal

why oh why FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY did dodge use TORX bolts to mount the front brake calipers to the knuckle???? why would anyone think that is a good idea?

i've done DOZENS of brake jobs before, i used to work at bosch braking systems, i've seen all sorts of designs (some good, some bad). but ALL of them use normal hex head BOLTS to attach the calipers. for some reason this uses torx head bolts, and i can't get the damn things loose because i'm just stripping it.

what is the trick? i've PB blasted it, i've heated it up with a torch, and all i do is strip the torx bolt a little more each time. do i need to just weld a real bolt head to it so i can use a normal socket?

Old 05-10-2014, 03:04 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strip and replace.

I know it's a PITA. If you go to a junkyard to find new ones make sure you get the right year. Mines an 02 and I pulled 2 good ones out of a 97 caliper, turns out the 97 uses a larger diameter thread.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:43 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you the original owner?

They may be locktighted in if that difficult and they may have used the red stuff.

They should be only in at around 15lb torque and no rust

Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just rebuild the front end on a 01 dakota and they where the hex not torqs.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
ayoung101
Rookie

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Are you the original owner?

They may be locktighted in if that difficult and they may have used the red stuff.

They should be only in at around 15lb torque and no rust
nope, not the original owner, i bought it 4 years ago at 150,000 miles, it has 187,000 miles now. (something tells me this isn't the first brake job, but it's the first one i've had to do)

i don't know if it's the rust or locktight or just the fact that torx bolts are a dumb idea, but those suckers are cemented in place. i think i'm going to weld a bolt head onto it in the hopes of getting them loose.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM
tylan
Amateur

For you reference, on my '97 Dakota, it's a T47 torx. As to why, I haven't the faintest idea.

Even weirder is that on the same wheel, one bolt is T47 Torx and the other is 1/2. It drives me mad.

Oh, power steering hoses have 16mm and 18mm tightening nuts, which are conveniently missing from most tool sets.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL- Sorry not trying to thread jack but I was told by Super O's and Autozone that my truck had Torx i just though they were dumb and didnt know what they were talking about bc my 97 was not a torx.. it was just plain Hex.. an odd ball size at that.... i wonder if someone got rid the torx and put the hex in its place? IDk.. but yeah i spent 4 hours chasing around trying to get the right part.. just think.. Ford and Chevy use normal bolts for theirs.. Just saying LOL

Old 05-12-2014, 08:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's been awhile since I had my dakota but Im pretty sure they were allen bolts not torx.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:25 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Whether you have Allen heads or Torx heads a Torx socket will fit either one. In my experience anyway the Torx socket is much better at removing the slide pins than an Allen head socket. Torx will grip better with as lot less chance of wallering out the head on the pin. I believe mine are a T-40.

Jimmy

Old 05-13-2014, 06:35 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
Whether you have Allen heads or Torx heads a Torx socket will fit either one. In my experience anyway the Torx socket is much better at removing the slide pins than an Allen head socket. Torx will grip better with as lot less chance of wallering out the head on the pin. I believe mine are a T-40.

Jimmy
I wish hat had been the case i had went to sears hardware and go the T40 and it didnt even bite.. I do have Premium everything on this SLT though.. including the 10" drums.. everything seems to be more $$ for this truck as result.. lol

Quick Reply: brake caliper removal