2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Transmission issues

Hey guys so I've been having an issue with my transmission.

When I'm driving and my torque converter locks at higher speeds, it will occasionally unlock. I'll never lose power, but it unlocks and you can watch the tach rev up. It'll happen after driving at speed for more then 15 mins. I don't know what is wrong.

I have a 545RFE automatic, the attached picture is the tranny dipstick. My thumb is about where the fluid stops on the stick. Only problem is this photo was taken after my truck has been sitting (off) for 12 hours. So I'm assuming there is too much fluid and some of it needs to be drained. Would that solve my problem?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo (1).jpg (86.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
TheNewbie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacknights
I'll never lose power, but it unlocks and you can watch the tach rev up.
Are you sure it's the T converter and not just the tranny downshifting?

How old is the fluid? I had a similar problem with an old Grand Cherokee. It would downshift randomly as the tranny fluid got hotter and start kicking in and out of OD. A simple fluid flush and filter change fixed it...

That fact that you said "I'll never lose power" makes me wonder. Wouldn't you feel a loss of power with a bad torque converter?

Last edited by TheNewbie; 05-13-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission issues