2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Newbie replacing head on 4.7l: Any tips?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:52 PM
keenerb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie replacing head on 4.7l: Any tips?

2003 4.7l 4wd quad cab with about 140k miles. Wife's truck, but something went horribly wrong and a hydraulic lifter housing(?) cracked in about four places so it's time to make the tough choices.

My goal is to get the truck running as quickly as possible and let her run it until October, at which point we're planning on getting her a full-size truck. Then I'll have time to make it a project and spend the late fall rebuilding it, which I'm honestly VERY excited about.

I don't necessarily need the excruciating details if anyone can point me to a good howto, but I have two sort of general questions about the process.

Should I consider replacing the lifters/rocker arms/camshaft while I'm at it? I'm thinking lifters yes, rocker arms yes, and camshaft only if it's damaged/worn, which it doesn't appear to be from my cursory inspection.

If I mark the timing chain/camshaft/etc. properly, and manage to maintain some sort of tension on the chain so it doesn't slip, is it possible to service the head without having to take the front timing cover off? Most of the guides I've found have listed some steps that seem to me to be the proper way to do this, but might not be strictly necessary...

Thanks in advance, my wife will be hugely grateful if I can get her back on the road!

Last edited by keenerb; 08-01-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb

I don't know the 4.7 well but this is a suggestion

1 it still runs correct just short one cylinder

2 it shouldn't harm it much more driving it now so drive it just short trips I think it will be ok for a few months

3 you don't want to race it if you know what I mean just kind of baby it along

I think this is doable 00DakDan can advise more on this possability

Old 08-01-2014, 01:49 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by keenerb
My goal is to get the truck running as quickly as possible and let her run it until October, at which point we're planning on getting her a full-size truck.
Sounds good.

I don't necessarily need the excruciating details if anyone can point me to a good howto, but I have two sort of general questions about the process.
If you don't have the FSM, download it from here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

Should I consider replacing the lifters/rocker arms/camshaft while I'm at it? I'm thinking lifters yes, rocker arms yes, and camshaft only if it's damaged/worn, which it doesn't appear to be from my cursory inspection.
Are you just doing the one head? If you pick up a boneyard head you can transfer your old parts over and replace what you have to. How badly damaged is the rocker arm? We're only talking a couple of months use here aren't we?

If I mark the timing chain/camshaft/etc. properly, and manage to maintain some sort of tension on the chain so it doesn't slip, is it possible to service the head without having to take the front timing cover off? Most of the guides I've found have listed some steps that seem to me to be the proper way to do this, but might not be strictly necessary...
No. You won't be able to get the chain tensioner loose without removing the cover.

Old 08-01-2014, 02:04 PM
keenerb

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Sounds good.

If you don't have the FSM, download it from here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-download.html

Are you just doing the one head? If you pick up a boneyard head you can transfer your old parts over and replace what you have to. How badly damaged is the rocker arm? We're only talking a couple of months use here aren't we?
Just planning on doing the one head, and literally long enough for my wife's first full-time paycheck to hit from her new teaching job. She's been out of work for a while now to finish her degree, this is really unfortunate timing.

But, I guess there's never a good time for a breakdown, is there?

No. You won't be able to get the chain tensioner loose without removing the cover.
That's what I was afraid of. Since I have to go through all that, I suppose I ought to consider doing the other head at the same time, just in case. Could it be easier (or faster) to just do an engine swap? I have spotted some engines with about half the mileage as this one in the neighborhood of a grand.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I don't think it is easier or faster to do an engine swap. First off, you have a 4x4. Access below is pretty tight and as I indicated, the front differential shares the mounts with the engine.

You also don't know what you're getting. A grand? That's cheap for a 4.7.

There's a bit to remove to access the timing cover but you'd have to remove it to get the engine out as well. To remove the engine you'd also have to evacuate the a/c while you can work around it to replace the head.

I'd suggest you consider replacing the damaged head and rebuilding the other. Change the timing set while you're in there. Basically you'd give your truck a top overhaul and be good for another 250k.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:53 PM
keenerb

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
I don't think it is easier or faster to do an engine swap. First off, you have a 4x4. Access below is pretty tight and as I indicated, the front differential shares the mounts with the engine.

You also don't know what you're getting. A grand? That's cheap for a 4.7.

There's a bit to remove to access the timing cover but you'd have to remove it to get the engine out as well. To remove the engine you'd also have to evacuate the a/c while you can work around it to replace the head.

I'd suggest you consider replacing the damaged head and rebuilding the other. Change the timing set while you're in there. Basically you'd give your truck a top overhaul and be good for another 250k.
Yeah. That's the direction I'm leaning at this point. I will look through the service manual you linked me to and see what specialized tools I might need...

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I just remembered that the 2003 manual is for a Ram, not a Dakota. The '00 or '01 manuals also have the 4.7.
The manual is in a .rar format. You'll need to convert it to pdf using WinRar or similiar, they're free downloads.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Some interesting info for you lots of good stuff that may help and pictures.

Dodge 4.7L V8 upgrade to High Output version

http://www.dodgeboy.net/durango/47ho/index.htm

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie replacing head on 4.7l: Any tips?