2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Centering the wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 11:01 PM
patvetzal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Centering the wheel

Got my 04 Dak last month. The small V8 in the 2dr 4x4.
Installed a Curt front receiver and an old Ramsey 8000 lb winch that I bought new about 1980....still going strong.
Today they charged the A/C and gave it a clean bill of health.
Next project is to center the steering wheel as I notice its about 15-20 degrees away from dead ahead.
Never had a rack & pinion steering box in a truck before and I'm wondering if I should just adjust the "steering ends" where they come out of the box and keep an eye on the tire wear? The truck was owned by an old fella for the last six years until he died last fall. Probably hasn't seen any rough handling and has two sets of tires, one summer and the other winter. Neither set looks like it has any wear.....

Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

The R&P is a moving assembly. If the tires are not wearing, it is aligned correctly. A wheel alignment does not typically include centering the wheel unless you explicitly ask for it. Even then, it may not be possible. On my truck, the tie rod on one side is just too short, and it comes apart before the wheel can be centered (also, my right side caster is unsettable….I have a very bent spindle or A arm somewhere apparently). And don't try to unhook the steering linkage, you'll break the clockspring.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:20 AM
patvetzal

I figure that if I just loosen one side a few turns and tighten the other.....??

Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try this. It is easy to do and it worked like a champ for me when I had my truck aligned but the wheel was still a bit off center.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46601

I used a silver Sharpie to make the reference marks on the tie rod ends.

Jimmy

Old 07-26-2014, 11:30 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think that will fix it

I'm betting it was in a wreck at one time take it to a dealer and get an answer then decide if its a big deal or not.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:54 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always just unhook your battery, wait an hour, pull the airbag fuses just to be safe and remove your steering wheel. But like Magnet said be careful or you'll damage the clockspring.

I've it on both my Mazda and Dakota, not difficult but some people don't feel comfortable with the airbag so if thats you, leave the steering wheel alone.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Just get an alignment and tell them to center the steering wheel.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:20 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Every alignment I've ever seen done included centering the steering wheel. They start with the wheel straight, then align the wheels so the car is going straight down the road when it's straight.

You can try adjusting the tie rods like you said, just be sure there is plenty of thread engagement when you're done. And make sure you set the toe-in correctly, or you'll get acccelerated tire wear.

Personally, I would take it to a good alignment shop and have it done.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:45 PM
patvetzal

Just had my Liberty in for an alignment at the best shop in town. Their price starts at $87. I figure I can manage a simple adjustment. I know enough not to try adjusting the wheel on a regular steering box and have built dune buggys with R&P boxes (didn't have to be precise) but this is the first PU with a R&P. Gonna try it, and then buy an alignment if needed....

Quick Reply: Centering the wheel