2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best way to R&R passenger side up stream O2 sensor?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 PM
graeaglecrawler
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to R&R passenger side up stream O2 sensor?

It looks like removing the inner fender liner is the only solution. Do you srill out the "pop" rivets that secure it to the body? Are these a factory or parts store part? Any insite would be helpful. It has the 4.6 V-8. Thanks

Last edited by graeaglecrawler; 10-24-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:32 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The inner fender is just held on by those plastic push pins. No drilling necessary, any automotive shop should carry these - I know my local Napa and Canadian Tire carries these in small packages of 10 for $2 or so... Some places also have a bulk section.

ON my 3.9, I didn't need to remove the inner fender. i just cut the O2 sensor wire so I could fit a socket over it instead of a wrench. Jimmy it back and forth with lots of penetrating oil till it breaks free.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:06 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also go to Harbor Freight or most any good parts store and buy a special socket made for the O2 sensor. It has a slit up the side to go around the wire harness:

http://www.harborfreight.com/78-in-o...ket-69022.html

They also make an offset O2 socket you use with a ratchet but I am not sue if that one fits a Dodge O2 sensor. Either way the sockets make it a lot easier to R&R the O2 and you should be able to use a long handled wrench on the socket to get at the upstream sensor without removing the fender liner. Some parts stores may even rent you the socket for free.

It helps to unplug the wire connector first, just follow the wires from the O2 up and you will find the plug on the passenger side of the firewall. Unplug it and let it dangle while you R&R the socket to avoid problems with the wire harness twisting. PB Blaster, Kroil or some other penetrating oil will help break it loose. When I did mine I sprayed it with PB Blaster a couple of times and let it sit overnight, sprayed again in the morning and let it sit a while, and the O2 came right out with no trouble at all.

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to R&R passenger side up stream O2 sensor?