2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need help getting out fuel rail and injectors 2001 4.7L

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 AM
bdkiger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help getting out fuel rail and injectors 2001 4.7L

Hi guys, first of all I'd like to take a moment to thank you all for the helpful advice you've given me in my other threads. This is by far the best Dakota forum I've found.

I'm having some trouble getting my fuel rail and injectors out. I removed the coil packs and disconnected the plugs from the injectors. I also removed the 4 bolts holding in the fuel rail. I've tried simply grabbing the fuel rail at a spot close to an injector and pulling up while wiggling it around and nothing... won't even budge. Am I leaving something out?

I also had a question about manually testing the injectors. If I were to straight wire them to a 12 volt battery car battery would this work? I took some old hoses and clamps and made a little tool I can stick the injectors into and I plan on pumping carb & choke or injector cleaner through them.

Also, would it be wise to clean the coil packs with some electrical cleaner? I was also going to spray some down in the holes they came out of to try to get rid of some of the corrosion but I don't want to cause any problems.

Thanks so much

Old 07-07-2015, 04:44 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It takes patience.

Do you have a shop manual?

From the FSM: Gently rock and pull left side of fuel rail until fuel injectors just start to clear machined holes in cylinder head. Gently rock and pull right side of rail until injectors just start to clear cylinder head holes. Repeat this procedure (left/right) until all injectors have cleared cylinder head holes

Quick Reply: Need help getting out fuel rail and injectors 2001 4.7L