2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

New Guy Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:43 PM
camijack63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Questions

So, not only am I new to the Dakota forums, Im new to the Dakota. 03 Quad Cab 2x2. Just bought it with 125K and everything seems pretty tight with it. I have noticed a few things I wanted to run by the experts.....you guys. The dash panel where the climate control ***** are is dark at night. There seems to be 1 light by the temp control **** and thats it, the rest is dark. Should it be brighter (yes the dome switch is all the way up without having the dome light come on). If so, is it easy to replace the bulbs?. And finally. I'd like to replace the brakes and have the rotors turned. Ive read that sometimes its easier/cheaper to just replace the rotor as opposed to finding someone to "turn" them. Im somewhat mechanically inclined but dont want to get in over my head. The dealer wanted $600////////per axle. Thanks

Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
Thumbs up

The brakes are an easy job back and front if the rotors and or drums are ok parts can be as low as $50 the dash lights I would say just needs a few new bulbs.

Just remember to be sure the caliper pistons are pumped up before you drive or you may be shocked when your brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and scares you bad.

Been their done that not fun

$600 that's crazy high most shops should charge around $300 MAX for everything. You can go easy on yourself and have a shop do the rear if they are drum brakes as all those springs suck and fix the front yourself they are very easy.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-10-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:13 PM
camijack63

Thanks DAKAZ. Arizona I presume. Moved to Oregon from Az 8 years ago. If the rotors/drums need to be turned, should I find a place that does that or just buy new?. Do you know if the bulb change is an easy process?. Left the jeep world for the Dakota. No regrets yet.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:45 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion

Well that's your choice

I never had my rotors turned just used a file on the lip that's ok as long as the rotors are not warped or grooved even slight grooving is ok the new pads will conform to the rotors. But a perfect job is to get them turned or new if worn out.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:56 AM
04DakAz
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camijack63
If the rotors/drums need to be turned, should I find a place that does that or just buy new?
How bad does your steering wheel/ front end shake when apply the brakes? Ive been wanting to get slotted rotors for the front for the heck of it but cant justify throwing the old ones away as they are still good.

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...id=523&jpid=18

As for the climate control lights you may be able to take it apart and replace the bulbs, Im guessing its a #194 type bulb, but im not sure. Is it the control with 3 round ***** and 1 or 2 buttons or the dual zone with slider temperature *****?

Old 07-11-2015, 09:35 AM
04DakAz
Amateur

Not sure on how to replace the bulb in the A/C control unit itself, but getting to it isn't that hard, I believe its 2 power plugs that attach to it, but to get to it

Remove the torx 2 or 3-4 screws (t10,t15 maybe) on bottom of leg bolster/panel whatever its called

One above OBD Sensor and above driver kickpanel 1 or more to the right

Be mindful of brake release rod, if fact before you begin, pull the out lever all the way, look for silver rod just swing the plastic clip Down slides and swings down, pull rod towards you

Then two Philips screw above steering column, on top of the guages

Once thats done move the wheel down, apply parking brake, if you have an auto move the shifter all the way to first

Starting near the headlight switch pull the front face off, Dissconnect the headlight switch, ninja twerk the dash out.

Disconnect the 4x4 switch if you have one

Ugh dust...

What the whole piece looks like when removed

Last edited by 04DakAz; 07-11-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:19 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Exclamation

Ah the Arizona dust that gets into everything you need a good air filter in Arizona I recommend a high quality oil filter also as I said that dust gets into everything. I think the extreme heat has about killed my battery this year time for a new one another AZ problem 115 heat kills batteries and A/C systems.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:33 AM
04DakAz
Amateur

Originally Posted by 98DAKAZ
Ah the Arizona dust that gets into everything you need a good air filter in Arizona I recommend a high quality oil filter also as I said that dust gets into everything. I think the extreme heat has about killed my battery this year time for a new one another AZ problem 115 heat kills batteries and A/C systems.

Exactly why i still rock the stock filtration system, Here in Arizona nobody runs the A/C when its cold out so its sits for 3 to 4 months. I bought my Dakota from someone who let it sit for 6-8 months and become a packrat nest. Needless to say everything but the condenser is getting replaced A/C wise

Old 07-11-2015, 10:48 AM
camijack63

Preaching to the choir here. Spent about 33 years in Havasu before relocating. The older I got, the hotter it seemed to get. Im on the Oregon/Idaho border so its what they call "high desert". Been in the low 100's which I can handle and it cools off at night. Going from the Jeep world to the Dodge world is......well, a whole new world. Taking apart the dash as instructed to replace a bulb or two scares the crap out of me, but I might give it a try some day when im bored. Going to tackle the front brakes today. Thanks so much my ex-Az friends.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:15 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Thumbs up

I don't think pulling the dash bezel will be that hard pulled my dash a few times no problem easier than you think.

Go hear and look at the back of the control unit the white dots are the bulbs they twist pop out http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-02-03-DODGE-DAKOTA-DURANGO-HEATER-CLIMATE-CONTROL-UNIT-2001-2002-2003-/161572154558?hash=item259e736cbe&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 07-11-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: New Guy Questions