2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Stock Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 12:54 PM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Suspension Question

Is there more than 1 type of stock suspension for the 4x4 models? I know the parts manual shows the AN1 and AN5 for whether it is reg/club cab vs Quad cab, but are there different suspensions on the quad cab models? The reason I ask is from all the other Dakota 4x4's that I have looked at driving on the road or in person, some I have noticed sit up higher than others. And I always make a point to look for body blocks/pucks or other aftermarket items to see if they are lifted, but it looks as though some sit higher than others, completely stock. Mine, specifically is a 2001 4x4 quad cab and it looks like it sits lower than others I have seen. I know the front height can be adjusted with a torsion bar crank, but there's no way to adjust the rear height without changing shackles, leaf springs, or adding something aftermarket that didn't come stock. Hence my question...is there 2 different suspensions available that would make some trucks, if equipped, sit higher than others on a fully stock setup, or is this just a symptom of torsion bars and leaf springs sagging over time and age?

I am currently trying adjust my suspension ride height, by following the procedures in the factory service manual. It says to adjust the ride height prior to doing an alignment, which I also desperately need, judging by the wear on my tires. And that's when i noticed that my truck seems to sit a lot lower than the majority of other quad cab 4 x 4s I see driving around---and I see a lot out here in the northwest.

So if anyone has any info, experience, or ideas, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-11-2015, 01:39 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

There are differences between the QC and the 2 door versions, yes.

What exactly they are I can't answer. There is a "mass damper" on the QC that the other models don't have in the rear for example.

Dodge also offered a "tire and handling group" which included 31 x 10.5x15 wheels/tires and a rear stabilizer bar on some models.

There was also the R/T Sports group which lowered the suspension by one inch.

It could just be due to sagging springs. Also, check your rear shackles for rust/damage.

Quick Reply: Stock Suspension Question