2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bad Fuel pump? Aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Charvet7
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Fuel pump? Aftermarket?

My 2001 4.7L extended cab, AWD Dakota has been recently starving for fuel intermittently and getting worse.

Symptoms include. Hard starts, keeps cranking until finally able to get it running after a few tries. Once running and idling it may die. When on freeway sudden losses of power, as if it was dropped into neutral for a moment.

My guess is a fuel pump. If this is correct, is there any reccomendations on the replacement part? The prices are all over the board from $360 at the dealer to $75 aftermarket on ebay. Then the in between Oreillys price at around $225. I still need to call NAPA.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2015, 11:56 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It could be the pump but it is a good idea to check the fuel pressure first before changing the pump. I do not know the pressure spec for a 4.7, but would guess it should be somewhere between 47 to 52 psi at idle. You may be able rent/borrow a fuel pressure test kit at the parts store for free or just buy one cheap at Harbor Freight. Hook it up to the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and see what it tells you. Also leave the gauge connected and turn off the engine, if the pressure bleeds down below 30 psi within 5 minutes after shutdown you have a bad fuel pressure regulator. Another way to test the regulator is turn the ignition to run, do not start the truck, wait about 15 or 20 seconds and then start it, if it starts right up the regulator is shot. The regulator is an internal part of the fuel pump assembly and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire pump assembly.

There are a lot of different opinions on which brand to buy. I put an Airtex pump on my truck about 4 years ago. There are a lot of bad reviews on Airtex but mine is still doing just fine with about 60,000 miles on it now. OEM Mopar may be the better way to go, and you may find a good price on Amazon. I am not a fan of Ebay parts myself, unless it is a used OEM. If there is an Advance Auto Parts near you you might be able to save some money with one of their online discount codes, buy online and pick it up in the store if you do not have time to wait for shipping. I like O'Reilly, even though their prices can be a little high. The O'Reilly here is always clean, quiet, the guys working there are very willing to help and actually have some automotive knowledge.

Jimmy

Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 PM
Charvet7
Amateur

Thank you for the reply. I will do the pressure test. The one I looked at on ebay for $75 was an Airtex pump, good to hear your experience, but as you say I have also read other negative reviews on these failing after even just 1 year. I also have read some good reviews on DELPHI, and found that model for $150. Hard choice!

Old 08-23-2015, 03:07 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You may also want to check out Rockauto.com. They recently had a clearance sale on Bosch fuel pumps for a 22 gallon tank for $86 shipped. I missed out on it, but they have those sales from time to time.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:07 PM
Charvet7
Amateur

I now can't get truck to start even after leaving in the on position for 30 seconds. I'm going to buy the harbor freight fuel pressure tester gauge for $20, but I did go ahead and buy the DELPHI fuel pump on Amazon for $150. Got good reviews. Hope others have good experience with that brand. I also have to see where the fuel filter is because I might as well replace that since I'm doing this work. Thanks

Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 PM
Charvet7
Amateur

OH, looks like the filter is in the pump! that takes care of that

Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 PM
brink5
Rookie

Because there is some labor involved with fuel pump replacement, I'd always advise to buy the best pump you can afford, because you don't want to have to do the same job over again in a few months.

Also I believe you have to drop the tank on your rig, because lifting the bed won't give you access you will need. Good luck

Old 08-23-2015, 04:27 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Delphi is said to be good, some have reported getting 100,000 miles or more from a Delphi pump. The HF tester is pretty good too, it is not for everyday professional use in a shop but will still work fine for what you need. I have one, have used it a few times and have not had any trouble with it. The fuel filter is also part of the fuel pump assembly. It's the white thing at the bottom that looks like a sock. The only part that can be replaced separately from the pump is the fuel level sending unit. I did one once on a Chrysler mini van, and I sure hope I never have to again. Be sure to orient the new pump in the tank correctly. The top of the tank should have a reference mark so you can point the fuel level sending unit arm in in the right direction so it has full unobstructed travel inside the tank. Also pay close attention and maybe take pictures of the metal tank protector pieces that are on the sides and front of the tank. It can be difficult to get them installed back in their right positions.

Jimmy

Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Charvet7
Amateur

Thanks for all the replies. Luckily I have alldatapro to help me out with this. I"m curious if anybody that has done this has any advice on replacement parts when I take the tank down I should have on hand such as clips/bolts etc. I"m in an area that I don't get so much rust so hopefully I can just reinstall as I took it apart but I like to be prepared.

Thanks

Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 PM
WrenchMasters
Amateur

Drain your tank you should be able to unplug
the fuel line and wiring from just in front of the right rear wheel.
I was able to on my 02 before I dropped the tank.

Quick Reply: Bad Fuel pump? Aftermarket?