2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota having issues starting - help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:59 AM
blazin202
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota having issues starting - help!

Hey guys/gals,

I have a 1998 dakota 5.2L v8 (318 motor) and it just recently is having major issues starting - i replaced the battery and alternator, terminals and cables. i do get about 13.1 at the alternator and at the battery when running but battery is about 12.6 with truck off. Autozone says their tool points to a ground cable or something else - not alternator or battery. You guys have any ideas on which cables to look at or replace? this is driving me nuts - truck cranks but acts like a weak battery. if i jump it with a jump box or another car then it fires up but still barely. I did run new negative terminal and cables off battery to grounds to new spots.

Thanks in advance!
John

Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try removing the positive cable from the battery post. Clean the inside of the clamp with a wire brush or battery tool. Also cut a slit in the cable insulation starting at the terminal end going back a couple of inches so you can peel the insulation back and inspect the copper cable inside. Sometimes you have a cable that looks ok on the outside but is actually full of green corrosion on the inside. This can cause the truck not to start or run because it does not get enough power from the battery. Dakota's are very sensitive to low voltage.

Jimmy

Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM
blazin202

To be 100% safe i swapped out 2 new terminals and all new cables coming off the terminals on both positive and negative side and ran a new cable from the fuse box to the alternator.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 PM
WrenchMasters
Amateur

Check your starter it could be bad.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WrenchMasters
Check your starter it could be bad.
I agree with the starter. FYI, the starter can be removed and commutator can be cleaned up. I did mine a few years back and it's been fine. There is a contactor in the starter as well that might have a little pitting and carbon, this cn be cleaned up as well. I'm an old motor guy so nothing really goes wrong with these things usually just dirt. Never had to replace brushes in one as they last forever. A nice cleaning won't cost you anything but a little time...get it out of the equation.

Quick Reply: Dakota having issues starting - help!