2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thoughts on these cheap ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:54 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Thoughts on these cheap ball joints

Napa basic ....$16.50 each... you can't even find that on fleabay.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...291_0251231293

Research says Master Ride Chassis is made by Federal Mogul....which makes TRW and Moog, so I think they should be decent. And...if they kill me, I get to sue NAPA.... LOL

Am I crazy? Oh, and do you guys typically get alignments after ball joint replacement?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-31-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:14 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

For the amount of effort required to change the ball joints, I won't go cheap.

Yes on the alignment. No two parts are the exact same.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I put MRC upper and lower ball joints on my right front wheel back in November last year. I have about 10,000 miles on them now and they are still doing fine, no problems at all. MRC are made in Taiwan, are a good quality part and should do fine in normal use. If you have time to wait for shipping you might look at the Raybestos/Spicer parts on Rock Auto. Spicer is excellent quality.

Jimmy

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like they got a zirc. F☆ck it, I'd give them a shot. Wouldn't surprise me if you bought a name brand for way more $ they wouldn't be the same thing rebranded...

Old 08-31-2015, 04:53 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

I also put MRC stabilizer bar end links on my truck at the time I did the ball joints. They are holding up fine so far, doing every bit as well as the TRW's they replaced. MRC are not bad quality parts at all, and the price is good too. Parts Master from O'Reilly is about the same quality but costs a dollar two more per part unless you have a coupon.

Jimmy

Old 08-31-2015, 05:44 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
For the amount of effort required to change the ball joints, I won't go cheap. Yes on the alignment. No two parts are the exact same.

Dan, I just couldn't resist. Picked up at Napa just now. I think the big effort is initially having to deal with the riveted OEMs. I have an air chisel and an angle grinder. The alignment does add to the cost though. Seriously doubt Napa is going to sell pure junk and attach their name to it. I take that back... the house brand electronics leave a lot to be desired, but not so for mechanical.

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
MRC are made in Taiwan, are a good quality part and should do fine in normal use. If you have time to wait for shipping you might look at the Raybestos/Spicer parts on Rock Auto. Spicer is excellent quality.
Jimmy
Jimmy, these say made in China on the box. I think the Moog endlinks I got a while back were also made in China. Everything is made in China now!

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Looks like they got a zirc. F☆ck it, I'd give them a shot. Wouldn't surprise me if you bought a name brand for way more $ they wouldn't be the same thing rebranded...
Exactly. When I googled these, saw quite a few stating that they are rebranded Moogs. Since these are a Napa exclusive, I'm not paying for name brand markup.

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
I also put MRC stabilizer bar end links on my truck at the time I did the ball joints. They are holding up fine so far, doing every bit as well as the TRW's they replaced. MRC are not bad quality parts at all, and the price is good too. Parts Master from O'Reilly is about the same quality but costs a dollar two more per part unless you have a coupon.
Jimmy
May not mean much, but in hand, these things are heavy and beefy. They seem solidly built and heavy duty. I can't budge the joint by hand. I'm sure the ones I take off will be sloppy. What the heck. I get a year warranty from Napa. I'll throw some good CRC Moly grease in em and call it a day.

Hammer, I got an extra 10% off with my AAA card. If you don't have one, borrow one.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-31-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Moog UCAs and lower ball joints I bought from Rock Auto last year were stamped "Made In China". At least they still had zircs...

Old 08-31-2015, 06:04 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Moog UCAs and lower ball joints I bought from Rock Auto last year were stamped "Made In China". At least they still had zircs...
These are the lowers, I just got. If you want the uppers, those are 30 bucks each.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...292_0251231291

Edit: Sorry, thought you said you wanted to try them. Saw no way to delete this post.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 08-31-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I better not need ball joints in the near future. Since doing ball joints and CVs I sold my '04 RAM and bought a new '14 CTD. If I need ball joints at 12,000 miles, I'm going ape sh*t on FCA!!!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Master Ride is made by BAW-Jason Company. BAW makes a lot of steering and suspension parts for different brand names and parts retailers. Napa is one of the brands supplied by BAW. The BAW factory is in Taiwan, which is an island region that is part of the Republic Of China. So the box may say Made in China but the factory is in Taiwan.

http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/MAIN/C...mpanyId=106640

Not everything made in China is bad quality, but you may find products made in Taiwan to be better quality than similar products made in mainland China.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these cheap ball joints