2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

getting at rear freeze out plugs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Mykl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting at rear freeze out plugs.

I noticed the temp gauge moving up a little more than usual and poked around a bit. (97 2WD Automatic, V8). Noticed a bit of steam on driver's side at the firewall. Can't be the heater (there isn't one) so I'm thinking rear freeze out plug. I've had to replace other freeze out plugs in the past.

Here's the question, how do I get to it? By dropping the tranny? I don't have a problem going in through the firewall, if that would be easiest. (This is a work truck, not a show truck)
I've plugged one leaking plug with J B Weld, so I'm not above doing that again, I just need some help figuring out how to get to it.
Any advice would be appreciated; I can't even find a decent diagram of the rear of this engine to see exactly where the plug is.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:30 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

What we did for my 1988 3.9 was to pull the engine (well, the mechanic did - that was something I did not have equipment for!)

Another suggestion: While it's out, do ALL the freeze plugs (two under the flex plate / flywheel, two in front either side of the timing chain cover, and three or four down each side).

Also, while the plugs are out, flush the water jacket out with some water off a hose (to get any remaining casting sand and crud out.)

Plus, while it's up, examine the motor mounts and replace if there's any question.

But yah, if it's the back, pull the motor or drop the tranny, depending on what you can get to.

(Mine weren't the ones under the flex plate, although those popped for the mechanic - it was the one on each side at the back. Still did them all, though.)

RwP

Quick Reply: getting at rear freeze out plugs.