2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

heater or ac problems under load

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:50 AM
bp97Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater or ac problems under load

97 Dakota sport ex-cab 5.2 auto and 2 WD w/61,000 K. Need some help please. On either heater or ac, the fan cuts out when under load going up hills. When load eases it comes back on. Also, temp runs around 200, but only luke warm air comes out heater. I did check stat, but due to alternator being in the way, I could only move housing a little, I did see the side of one. Could not see if spring or valve is still there, it does seem to take forever to warm up.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:14 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's probably not a fan issue.

More likely the mode doors, that control where the air goes, are changing position when under load - it's a common problem. You run out of vacuum to keep the doors in position.

There is a check valve in the HVAC system and a reservoir. Not sure where on a '97 the valve is but it's usually located in one of the lines by the brake booster. It looks similar to what's in the attached pic.

Flush your heater core out. Take the inlet/outlet hoses off and use your garden hose to flush it. You'll be amazed at how much junk is in it - again, a common problem.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN7363.JPG (675.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-21-2015, 10:51 AM
bp97Dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
It's probably not a fan issue.

More likely the mode doors, that control where the air goes, are changing position when under load - it's a common problem. You run out of vacuum to keep the doors in position.

There is a check valve in the HVAC system and a reservoir. Not sure where on a '97 the valve is but it's usually located in one of the lines by the brake booster. It looks similar to what's in the attached pic.

Flush your heater core out. Take the inlet/outlet hoses off and use your garden hose to flush it. You'll be amazed at how much junk is in it - again, a common problem.
Thanks much. I saw on here how to flush core. And will check and most likely change the vacuum check valve.

Quick Reply: heater or ac problems under load