2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Crank sensor replacement gone wrong!!!

Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 PM
Patches 5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Crank sensor replacement gone wrong!!!

2000 Dodge Dakota with a 4.7. I am by no means a mechanic, but I know my way around a motor. I bought the truck from my dad who had the heads redone. While he was driving it, it started running like crap and he wasn't far from my house so he dropped it off here. It sat for awhile until I started throwing money at it. I started with 1 new injector, temperature air charge sensor, idle air control valve, throttle positioning sensor, and last but definitely not least a new computer. While it was at the dealership getting programmed, the tech called me up and said he thinks all that is wrong with it is a cam and crank sensor, i had it hauled back to my place and immediately began work. I replaced cam sensor with ease. Removed bolt on crank sensor and gave it a couple twists and it just shattered in my hand. I then proceeded putting a screw in and clamping onto it with vice grips and twine around the vice grips out to a 2x6 and using leverage. FAIL!!
Then I proceeded to start over again and this time use a ratchet strap to my neighbors fence post. FAIL! No matter wtf i do to this thing, it will not budge!!! Finally, I ended up buying a torch and trying to melt it with no success. Apparently, plastic becomes brittle enough to break off in your hand but is unmeltable?!?! So. My last resort was to try drilling through it. I hit the magnet, so i tried the screw and ratchet strap method again. FAIL!! I'm almost to the point of just parting the damned truck out! All over this one sensor!!! Please help!! Anything will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-10-2016, 10:35 AM
tspeed109
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem too.
Mine ended up being pushed into the engine block. I don't know where it ended up but I'm guessing sitting in oil pan.
Been driving the truck for 2 yrs that way.
I just made sure it wasn't caught up in that wheel behind it.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:23 PM
Patches 5.2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also thought about that too. Just out of curiosity, how did you shove it in there?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank sensor replacement gone wrong!!!