2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Running Under Temperature. NEw Thermostats not fixing problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Miketheatc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Under Temperature. NEw Thermostats not fixing problem

Hey Guys,

I have a 04 Dakota SLT Quad Cab, 3.7L V6 with about 137,000 miles on it.

The truck has been consistently running under temperature, and subsequently throwing the CEL code P0128. It seems to be running fine, but barely gets to 130* (1/3rd line). Heat blows hot enough, but it takes awhile to get there...maybe 25-30 minutes... I know its cold here in NY, but i've never had the truck operate this low under temperature. I've tried changing the thermostat a few times, using 195* Stant T-Stats, which are readily available. A friend told me to go get a chrysler t stat and see if that works, but I find it hard to believe that would make that much difference and that all 4 t stats over the past 1.5yrs have been bad. I mean, I JUST CHANGED it again a week ago, and still the same problem! Thought maybe it was stuck open, but the last one i replaced seemed to work ok when I took a torch to it...

My cooling system does has a bit of a history...
2 summers ago summer, August 2014 to be exact... My rad sprung a leak and subsequently caused the truck to overheat. Ended up changing the radiator, water pump, hoses, thermostat...everything. Luckily i didn't blow my head gasket, but the truck barely overheated before I pulled over and intervened....

Anyone have any suggestions that could cause low operating temp ther than the Tstat???

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Are you putting the thermostat in correctly? See the pic.

I'd get an OEM from Dodge. They aren't that expensive. There are lots of crappy parts out there nowadays.

It could also be some bad sensors - but I'd start with the thermostat. If you block airflow through the radiator with cardboard and have the heat off will it warm up?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tstat.jpg (32.1 KB, 7 views)

Quick Reply: Running Under Temperature. NEw Thermostats not fixing problem