2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Issue stalling out @ low rpms

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 PM
scurbin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue stalling out @ low rpms

I have a 2002 SXT automatic. I'm having an issue where it stalls out/feels like it wants to stall out on low rpms such as if I am backing up into a parking space or creeping forward from a stop up a hill while lightly pressing the gas then let go.

I had an aftermarket throttle control sensor installed about six months ago. My personal mechanic put it in, and I had him check it out again a few weeks ago but it looks fine and he cleaned it out.

Issue still there. I then bring it to a Dodge dealership, can't get it to happen and they have no idea, I even drove the tech around to try to recreate it but of course when you need it to happen, it doesn't . Tech cleaned and reset harnesses.

I then go home and as I'm backing up my drive way (it's a small hill), it feels like it wants to stall again, and I come to the realization it happens mostly when the wheel is turned all the way to one side and I lightly press the gas then let go. Also hear some whining (belt?).

Any ideas?

Old 07-27-2016, 09:33 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

What engine?

There is a power steering pressure switch. It kicks the idle up when the p/s is under heavy loads, such as all the way to one side. It may not be working correctly.

It can throw a code - sometimes. Do the key dance.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM
scurbin

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
What engine?

There is a power steering pressure switch. It kicks the idle up when the p/s is under heavy loads, such as all the way to one side. It may not be working correctly.

It can throw a code - sometimes. Do the key dance.
It's the 3.9 v6 4w. Would that be causing it to stall out? I sometimes see the rpm needle slightly jump up to 1rpm and back down when I'm idling, I can hear it too. No codes either. What's the 'key dance'??

Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

A heavy load, such as the wheel against the stop, will bog the engine down some.

When did you last clean the throttle body - as in take it off, and thoroughly clean the IAC passages?

Key dance: with the engine off, turn the key to RUN (don't start it). Then back to OFF, then to RUN, OFF again, and finally leave it in RUN. Any codes will appear in the odometer window. It will show PDONE when finished.

A dirty throttle body will not throw a code.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 AM
rholbert01

I had a problem like yours. It would die at low rpm's. I cleaned the throttle body, replaced the IAC and throttle control sensor and other things. finely I got a good scanner and found out my PCM, metal box with 3 plugs on pass. side under hood. I had it rebuild and it has been fine since.

Quick Reply: Issue stalling out @ low rpms