2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

just joined, right directional doesn't work when light are on

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:34 PM
mike0722
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry just joined, right directional doesn't work when light are on

i just joined and am very new at doing this, hope i am in the right section. i have 97 dodge dakota club cab sport. i just replaced the fuel pump and tank traps. prior to that the directionals work good. after that the right directional only work when no lights are on (running and/or head lights). when lights are on the right indicator dash signal light stays on and that directional does not work. also, the right headlight is not as bright as the left. it sounds like a short. i have disconnected the connections(pull apart cluster connections) in the back for the right side and the plate. as far as i can see the cluster goes up and past the gas tank and to the front. if i could find another disconnect point to see if it is located around the tank or not , well, does anyone have an idea what it might be or what i can do to find the problem. by the way the left works fine with and without the light on.

Last edited by mike0722; 10-03-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moved to the correct section. Welcome to DF! Sounds like you might have pinched a wire somewhere.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds more like a bad ground to me. The directional and the right headlight should share the same ground, G103, near the battery.

It's likely near the leak detection pump. Not exactly sure on a '97.

Quick Reply: just joined, right directional doesn't work when light are on