2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 Dakota , brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Onyx-Walker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dakota , brake issues

So the other day for no apparent reason my brake pedal got really soft than within two or three stops it went to the floor and the ABS and E-brake lights came on. Parked the truck and looked all over for leaks, nothing.
Checked the fluid, good.
Now when the truck is off I have pedal, start the truck in park I have pedal, as soon as I put it in drive it starts to get soft. when I drive, if I jump on the brake my pedal is hard as a rock but I'm pretty sure its just the fronts, If I apply the brake gently or let off pressure after jumping on it the pedal goes to the floor.
*ABS and E-brake lights are solid , rears are supposedly ABS however I have my doubts they ever functioned properly.
Its worth mentioning one of my cylinders in the rear are sweating a bit but the pads are dry. When I disconnect the ABS fuse in the cab its worse. I have an ABS pump fuse under the hood even though I don't think I have an ABS pump, no power there. speedo works. E-brake also.
This is my only salt truck for this winter and I could really use some constructive input here, I'm totally lost for ideas at this point. I'd like to check the plug going to the solenoids so if anyone would have a diagram for that I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2017, 08:04 PM
Onyx-Walker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a follow up...
took it out in some light snow this evening and after 17 years owning this truck I think I can honestly say this is the first time I heard, felt the rear wheels vibrate..lol lack of a better word.
If its the master how is it that I have pressure when the truck is in park or when I jump on the brakes.
I've been watching the fluid , hasn't moved.
I was reading a post here about how to de-activate the piston in the abs module. but if I have ABS my thinking is its not the solenoid, but than again if the dump solenoid is stuck and only pops in with a quick jolt of fluid ?? any thoughts? I could really use some pro advice before attempting the abs piston jam, even though it was posted on this site