3.9 harmonic balancer questions... - DodgeForum.com

Notices

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

3.9 harmonic balancer questions...

Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Owen Bittner

Default 3.9 harmonic balancer questions...

I have a 2000 Dakota with 3.9 Magnum with 145k on it... I am getting stuff together so i can replace the timing chain next weekend. Replacing head-gaskets as well but since I have it down that far I may as well do the timing set. I bought a Cloyes dbl roller, also new timing chain tensioner. What puller do I need for the balancer- exact info on line seems hard to come by but it looks like I will need a "jaw" type- is this correct? 2 or 3 jaw? Also for reinstalling the balancer what is the best method? Also will the timing gear at the crank come off easily? With the mileage it has would I do well to replace the balancer as well since it is off already? Any other advice? Thanks, sorry for all the questions- I will be working on my Dakota at home and the nearest parts place is 20 miles away and my only ride will be in pieces so I want to cover all the bases I can before I tear into it and then need to bum a ride into town. Thanks in advance!!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:00 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion

I bolt-through puller would be better than a jaw type. If you use a jaw type, you WILL need a new balancer. The outer ring is only wedge-fitted to the core. Also matters if you have a 1 or 2 piece balancer pulley- 2 piece will have six 5/16 bolts on the face for the pulley to separate from the balancer, a 1 piece will have cast ribs on the unit assembly.

Bolt-through puller won't work on the 1 piece, but 00 should be a 2 piece....should.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Owen Bittner

Thanks magnethead... I just had the fan shroud off replacing the fan clutch so I gave the balancer a look.. no bolts so looks like it is one-piece.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion

Use a jaw puller then, but be careful where you clamp on to, as you'll either bend the rubber ring off the metal core, or warp the serpantine pulley.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:31 PM
Owen Bittner

Cool, thanks for the heads up! For what a new one costs I may just get a new one anyway since I am that far already...
Old 04-20-2017, 08:44 PM
magnethead
Grand Champion

IMO that would be the best bet, so that you dont have to worry about it. A friend and I used a sledge hammer to pull the one off the junkyard motor (all I needed from it was the block).

Search this Thread