2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

PO441 and a momentary rough idle just after startup

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I get the P0441 code every 3 months or so. I always clear it and it'll be gone again for a few months. Been that way for years. Over the weekend I visited a junkyard. Pulled an LDP off a 2009 PT Cruiser and a purge valve off a Dakota. Slapped them in and am waiting for the CEL to clear. Tank is full though. Gotta wait till it drops below 3/4 for the checks to run, I believe. Because the code pops so infrequently, I'd rather not clear it as the issue could still be there, but take months to reappear. If it disappears on it's own. That's a good sign.

Edit: 5/1/17 - The light was off when I left work today. Drove home 27 miles and the code was still stored though. Should be gone by tomorrow.
Edit: 5/4/17 - Light still off, but the P0441 code is still present when I scan. I'm still reluctant to clear it. Been driving the truck regularly to work and back.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 05-04-2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:08 AM
tdes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time since posting this issue, but I finally think its solved. P0440 re-appeared the the rough idle got worse, to the point of stalling within first minute of starting, so I reluctantly went to the mechanic-- they smoke tested it-- found a leak in a vacuum line near the purge valve, and I think more importantly, the Lead Detection Pump was bad.. Seems to be running better, 5 starts and about 20 miles later, its not perfect, so I am hoping the PCM is relearning what it has to relearn and will improve.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by tdes
Long time since posting this issue, but I finally think its solved. P0440 re-appeared the the rough idle got worse, to the point of stalling within first minute of starting, so I reluctantly went to the mechanic-- they smoke tested it-- found a leak in a vacuum line near the purge valve, and I think more importantly, the Lead Detection Pump was bad.. Seems to be running better, 5 starts and about 20 miles later, its not perfect, so I am hoping the PCM is relearning what it has to relearn and will improve.
Clean the IAC valve. Oh and I ended up clearing my code with the code scanner as it never cleared by driving alone (see my previous post). The CEL has not come back and there are no codes stored since that. Hopefully the PT Cruiser LDP was the ticket.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:38 PM
tdes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

despite my last note, that low idle/stall issue did not away after my mechanic's last effort. While I think all those issues caused the ultimate problem, which was making the throttle body and IAC sensor, filthy- I did my best to clean it, and now, 6 or 7 starts and it appears to have gone away. I may have caused another problem- the the harness clips fell apart in my hand -- so its taped on to hold it for now.. Not easy to seat that sensor body in straight.. strange to only use one screw, not two. I had to use a mallet to persuade it.

Thanks for the IAC tip.

Now onto figuring out how to eliminate the damn blower resistor from failing -- 3x in 2 years..