2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

timing belt has only one mark

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timing belt has only one mark

i am replacing the head gasket on a 4.7l 8 cylinder engine from a 2002 grand Cherokee in my dodge 2000 dakota.

problem my timing belt only has one dot on the drivers side and no different type links or anything like that.

my guess is if i just put it back in the same place my timing should be the same as before i broke down the engine. the timing was fine before i overheated and blew the gasket.

any thoughts? every video i find about timing, the timing chain has all kinds of of marks and double links that are a different color. mine is not like that.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:33 AM
Irwin Billiot
Amateur

I still have this issue. about to just install them from what i can tell the chains shouldn't matter only the position of the gears. though i am not sure.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 PM
rlordjr
Amateur
Default timing marks

Those marks on the chains are only there to help. What's vitally important is that the cams and the idler gear and primary gear marks all be lined up properly. Chains are chains. I just went through the same thing.