2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

MY continuing sage re A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 06:47 PM
rbg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, 2.5, yes, I vacuumed the system down to 28-30 it held for an hour then I charged with two cans of 134 the first can went all in the second can about half maybe a little less. I have a gauge set and can hook it up again and add some more 134..but w/o hot wiring the compressor to turn it on it wasn't turning on so getting more 134 in wasn't happening..So I stopped and that's why I am trying to pin down what is keeping the compressor from kicking in..

Old 05-01-2017, 07:51 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

It's low on freon. That's why it isn't running.

You have to jump the compressor to charge it with a can. Use your gauge set and watch the pressures. At 70, you should have about 20-30 psi at the low side and 150-250 at the high.

With the compressor not running they will even out.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 PM
rbg
Amateur

OK I'll give it a try I was just afraid to hotwire the compressor. I watched several utube videos on the process and in each the compressor kicked on after most of the first can 12 to 16 oz. was sucked in by the vacuum alone. But like I said mine took the whole 12 oz. can but never kicked on..didn't seem right...

Old 05-02-2017, 04:08 PM
rbg
Amateur
Default I jumped the compresser stillissues

I tried again..I tested the line from the dash board..took the connector off at the compressor, started her up, turned on teh A/C and the fan and put a meter on the open connector..positive to the open connector and the negative to ground..read no volts so the switch in the dash is not sending to the compressor don't know if it's because the sensor on orifice tube is bad or if the is an open wire, connection etc. between the switch and the connector. So I decided to hotwire the compressor to see if that would suck more 134 in and get it working. So I purge the lines of the gauges, hooked up another can of 134 hooked it up, purged the yellow line, opened the gauges and then the low and high side valves on the system..turned the engine on and hotwired the compressor..both the high and low side went to 100. I let the can empty so now I have put in 1.8 lbs which is the recommended amount probably a little less due to purging etc.

I still have too high pressure on the low side..I am stumped..new compressor, new orifice tube with new filter inside, new dryer, new condenser. What could be causing this???? besides a bad compressor??? which is brand new...

Old 05-02-2017, 06:27 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Are you sure the orifice tube is installed correctly? Is it the right part? That would cause this problem.

So would a bad compressor.

EDIT: I merged both your threads into this one.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbg
I tried again..I tested the line from the dash board..took the connector off at the compressor, started her up, turned on teh A/C and the fan and put a meter on the open connector..positive to the open connector and the negative to ground..read no volts so the switch in the dash is not sending to the compressor don't know if it's because the sensor on orifice tube is bad or if the is an open wire, connection etc. between the switch and the connector. So I decided to hotwire the compressor to see if that would suck more 134 in and get it working. So I purge the lines of the gauges, hooked up another can of 134 hooked it up, purged the yellow line, opened the gauges and then the low and high side valves on the system..turned the engine on and hotwired the compressor..both the high and low side went to 100. I let the can empty so now I have put in 1.8 lbs which is the recommended amount probably a little less due to purging etc.

I still have too high pressure on the low side..I am stumped..new compressor, new orifice tube with new filter inside, new dryer, new condenser. What could be causing this???? besides a bad compressor??? which is brand new...
You say both the high and low side went to 100PSI? What was the static pressure before that? Seems low to me. Look for a Pressure temperature chart and read your static pressure. When you start the cmpressor see what the pressures are then. Either the compressor is working or it's not. It's just a simple vane pump that does not tolerate liquid, only vapor. Possible broken or stuck vanes in the pump. You seem to have eliminated the oriface issue so I'm guessing the new compressor is defective or stuck vanes. Even in a failed system with a blockage there would be a huge difference in pressures.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:13 PM
rbg
Amateur

I just returned the gauges I borrowed from autozone. I'll have to go get them again to see what the static pressure is..before I turn the compressor on..may be a day or two before I can try this again.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:57 AM
rbg
Amateur
Default update

sorry to say I gave up and took it to a garage..a blown fuse not sure how I missed that..they charged her up works fine...the guy said the pressure high on both side may have been just not letting the compressor run long enough to balance the pressures out..but I said I let it run 3 or 4minutes and it still stay high on both sides..and in all the utube videos the pressure low side dropped within a minute of adding 134..he just shrugged his shoulders.. he must have been correct as all they did was replace the fuse, vacuum the system and charge it up..according to the invoice.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:04 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yeah, the pressures should have dropped quickly once the compressor was running.

Glad to know you got it fixed. Now enjoy your nice cool ride.