2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need help with starting problem.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Lin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with starting problem.

Need help try to figure out what is wrong with my 2003 Dakota 6 cyl. Was starting and running great. I needed washer fluid so opened the hood while the truck was running. A couple seconds later I saw a spark (just one) back against the fire wall near the brake booster. I finished putting in the washer fluid closed the hood. Turned off the truck then went to start it and it was dead. When I turn the key no crank, I get lights on the dash and the bing from the door being opened. Headlights don't work also. So I look at the battery and it is corroded. I clean the battery terminals and replace the wire terminals and battery. Used a multimeter and I am getting 12v to the starter. Looked at the fuses and none look blowen. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Lin; 05-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:23 AM
patchelect
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect the 12V you are reading at the starer is the main power lines, not the solenoid feed. The solenoid needs to engage before the circuit is completed but the 12V is always in the area. I don't know what your problem is, but I'd start with a good look along the firewall where you saw the spark initially. You have probably got a burned wire/connection that was adequate to keep the engine running but not enough to start it again. Get a mirror and a flashlight and scope it out closely.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2017, 03:07 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

There is a 1-wire connector between the driver side upper A-arm and the PDC which is the 12V trigger for the starter solenoid (think some trucks it was attached to the back of the power steering pump). Check this wire for 12V with key in start position. Can also try jumping it directly to 12V to see if it will engage the starter.

Search this Thread