2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Idle issue

Old 05-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Iarecobra
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle issue

Hello. New member.

2004 Dakota 4.7 auto trans 120k miles

Here's the breakdown.

When I start it cold the idle will jump up to around 2500k rpm. Takes about 30 seconds to settle down.

When I put into gear I have to wait a couple seconds for it to shift otherwise I get a hard shift.

The idle will jump around while cruising like it's shifting in and out of overdrive. Sometimes I'll get a hard shift. Trans fluid looks ok but could benefit from a flush.

Worse when cold. Still happens when warm.

Things I'm leaning towards: throttle body dirty. Spark plugs. IAC. TPS. MAP.

What should I start with. I don't want to just throw parts at it and I'm limited on cash.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 PM
hidden1
Captain
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe try testing the tps sensor with meter,an clean out the entire area it's in,including the iac an where iac goes in an throttle.?

Check for vaccum leaks also.an use the specal map sensor cleaner on MAP .​​​

Last edited by hidden1; 05-26-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Iarecobra

I did clean the IAC when this first started. Still happens. Doesn't mean the IAC is good though.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Iarecobra

Today I started it up. When I tapped on the TPS there was no change in idle. When I tapped on the connector there was a small change in idle.

So I took the sensor out and cleaned the connectors. I also cleaned out the throttle body with brake clean. I know carb clean would have been better but that's what I had to work with.

Took a test drive to the store and so far it seems to be acting better. Gonna drive it over the weekend and decide if I need to replace any sensors. I'm just poor at the moment and don't want to throw extra money at it at the moment.

Search this Thread