2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dreaded Spark Plug Heat Shields

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 10:27 PM
honkbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dreaded Spark Plug Heat Shields

I have browsed other heat shield removal threads on here and there wasn't a singular solution, it appeared.

I have a 2000 Dakota 2WD 3.9L V6. I'm just trying to change the spark plugs and I've already broken off the ceramic sections on two of them. It is not going well. These stupid heat shields are impossible, so I saw that some people suggested removing them.

I've tried the twisting, the pulling, the hammering, the prying, PB blaster soak for a couple days. NOTHING. I'm giving it all my elbow grease and it seems just so rusted in there.

This all, by the way, is just one attempt on cylinder #3, which is the easiest to access by hand and tool. I have absolutely no idea how I'm suppose to wrestle a pig in the tight quarters of the other spark plugs.

My last hope is soaking the heat shields in a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF fluid. Any other ideas?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:36 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Mine just came out with a pair of pliers (rust-free truck in TX). You being in michigan will definitely have an uphill battle. The heat shields get rusted in, and they also collect moisture, which then rusts the plugs in.

I popped mine out with the plugs still in (to prevent crap into the cylinder), blew the recess out with compressed air, then tapped it back in and changed the plug.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:39 PM
honkbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update: worthless trip anyways

Yeah a few of those heat shields were in there. I had to hit a few of them with 15 minutes of heat and then chisel them out.

But it was all for not because one of the spark plugs left it's threads behind and I had to pull the effin' head anyways. This has been a learning experience.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:04 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Yea if you live in a bad rust belt change your sparkplugs every 3 years or you may never get them out especially with cast iron heads.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 10-24-2017 at 02:07 PM.