2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1997 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L

Old 07-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Alex Cundiff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 1997 Dodge Dakota 3.9 L

Okay so here's the deal, I've been replacing parts on my truck for the past few months. Been doing as I could afford it. I've replace both radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, power steering pump, serpentine belt, transmission gasket, oil, plugs and wires and distributor cap. Sure there's more I can't think of right now. But anyway last night my oil gauge started going below 0 with oil in it. Started hearing rattling noises which I'm assuming is my piston rods. Once they started rattling really bad I parked it a gas station. Then k started it back up after it didn't want to a few times and white smoke started pouring out of my exhaust and it smoked out half the parking lot. I've put about 500$ into this truck so far and don't care to continue working on it because I love the piece of ****. But what the hell could it be? And if it is a head gasket what's my best option here? Should I just tear it down and fix what needs to be fixed? Or buy a used motor?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex Cundiff
Okay so here's the deal, I've been replacing parts on my truck for the past few months. Been doing as I could afford it. I've replace both radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, power steering pump, serpentine belt, transmission gasket, oil, plugs and wires and distributor cap. Sure there's more I can't think of right now. But anyway last night my oil gauge started going below 0 with oil in it. Started hearing rattling noises which I'm assuming is my piston rods. Once they started rattling really bad I parked it a gas station. Then k started it back up after it didn't want to a few times and white smoke started pouring out of my exhaust and it smoked out half the parking lot. I've put about 500$ into this truck so far and don't care to continue working on it because I love the piece of ****. But what the hell could it be? And if it is a head gasket what's my best option here? Should I just tear it down and fix what needs to be fixed? Or buy a used motor?
Gee, did you check you oil and look for any water traces such as a white milky substance or discolored oil? Sounds like a bad head gasket with all the white smoke, probably water. I don't know about the oil pressure but could be from the water if it's actually in the engine. The heads are not all that bad to do on this engine. First thing though, look for signs of water in the oil.

Search this Thread