2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Honest Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 03:12 PM
tonypilot7
Professional
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skreelink

Sadly it's hard to find the blue smoke in stock, missed my chance when I went to buy them the first time. Sold the last one right when I decided to buy it, tsk. So either wait on new stock, or go with the spec d. Any opinions on which?
Personally I would go with the blue smoke. I am not a fan of Halos on these trucks but I really have no reasons for it. I just don't like the way they look on Daks.

When I first got my truck, the passenger side rear fender flare was destroyed by a blowout (previous owner) I scrounged through the u-pick lots here almost every weekend for about three months before I found one that was intact. They disappear fast, probably because people are picking them for $30 per set, then selling them on Fleabay for $200 to $400.

If you are leaving the chrome up front, you should look into getting a new set of rims that will tie it all together like these:

Old 09-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was personally leaning toward the blue smoke myself, the halos seemed a bit much for these trucks. Everyone I work with, however, are pushing for the halos. Rims will be a much later thing. With them being a bit higher dollar item, money is of course better spent on the engine before aesthetics. I do like the factory style rims that are on it, although not factory to the truck. Build sheet had the 5 spoke 15x7 with P215/75R15 tires. Course you can see it now has the 15x8 P235/75R15 XLs. With the 3.55 ratio diff, makes it hard to spin tires by just stomping the gas, but that's fine, more traction for me. For show I can still brake hold, but I'd rather not buy tires more often nor tranny rebuilds. Both are brand new as of a month ago.

Edit: Here's a short video of it running, cause why not?

Last edited by Skreelink; 09-02-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Well, contacted the distributor and the seller... They no longer stock, nor manufacture the blue smoke headlights... Sigh. So I finally bit the bullet and went with the dual halos, the cataracts on my original lenses was just bugging me. Also the fact the passenger headlight had wire wrapped around it like it was holding it in (I discovered after pulling the headlight, the wire was unnecessary and wonder why the previous owner had it there). Along with the marker lamp lenses being cracked it was just time to change them.

https://imgur.com/a/R1uDa Here's a small album of pictures with the new headlights and a comparison. You can see the wire I removed in the first image sitting on the fan shroud. I just need a chance to do some adjusting now.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:27 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Alongside the headlights, now I've put in some taillights... Almost done rounding out looks, just gotta get a factory decal set and a Dodge emblem for the tailgate. That'll be about it for "looks" as it *is* a truck, and to be treated as one so I don't want to get too fancy. Outside of that, I'd like some black fender flares... But they're stupidly priced... I found brand new chrome'd stainless steel flares for $99, yet USED/FADED black plastic ones are ~$300... tsk. New image with the tail lights... I also changed the oil... can you tell? (someone stole my oil catch pan and had to use an old jug and I didn't get it centered right... grumble.)

Old 04-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

3EgXM3q.jpg

Well, that took longer than I liked, but finally an update.

Managed to find a good set of fender flares to toss on her, snagged 'em from a junkyard for 4.59 apiece vs hundreds. <$20 is about what I like paying for parts Sanded down the previous clear coat, left the paint as a 'primer' and took them to work. Had a co-worker put two coats of UV rated, Marine grade, satin finish epoxy paint on them. Free of charge (for the paint anyway, still tossed him a 12-pack for doing the labor). After letting them cure for three days, nice hard finish, mounted 'em up. The one thing that sort of bugs me, is the break between the flare and the lower fascia. Might tape off, scuff up the chrome, and connect the flair to the fascia with some black paint, just to give it a continuous look. Not covering up the rest of the chrome, just a strip the size of the flare. Sadly, I work with not so brilliant people, so after they got the 2nd coat... someone decided to touch them, so one fender has a fingerprint...

Couple co-workers have recently dubbed it the "Deadpool truck" and I can see why. One of 'em wants me to paint the hood black, but leave the center "V" red, ehhh not going that far. Wasn't aiming for the Deadpool look, just the previous owner had the black/red thing half going on, so I decided to go with it.

Last edited by Skreelink; 04-16-2018 at 10:50 AM.