2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Hey People

Old 09-24-2017, 12:37 AM
DDupin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey People

This is my 99 Dakota, 3.9 manual 5spd tranny, with 93k original miles, it has a couple bad spots, which I’ve posted pics of at the bottom. However there is no rust, the interior is almost perfect, and it runs great! I was wanting to hear some thoughts on this if any one could help I would appreciate it. So, Would it be a better investment to do a 5.9 swap and sell the 3.9, or should I just sell this truck as is and get something newer and faster?

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Depends on what you want to use the truck for. That's up to you.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:15 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by DDupin
This is my 99 Dakota, 3.9 manual 5spd tranny, with 93k original miles, it has a couple bad spots, which I’ve posted pics of at the bottom. However there is no rust, the interior is almost perfect, and it runs great! I was wanting to hear some thoughts on this if any one could help I would appreciate it. So, Would it be a better investment to do a 5.9 swap and sell the 3.9, or should I just sell this truck as is and get something newer and faster?
That's a pretty nice truck with low mileage. I had similar damage at the rear quarter panel. I got under the truck and found that I had pretty good access to the inside of the panel....I used some wood blocks to push out the dents. Looks much better now. I also have some tail lights here, if you want to replace that broken one. It says "sold" but it's not.

. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/user-cl...il-lights.html

Old 09-24-2017, 07:13 PM
DDupin
Default !!!!

I want to make an investment. I’ll have about 2 grand at tax time. I have the options of keeping the 3.9 getting the body fixed and keeping it all original, or I could drop a 5.9 motor in the truck and sell the 3.9 and start modifying, I want to know which would be the best option to increase the value of the truck so I know I made a good investment, or would it be a waste of time when I could sell the truck and put that with my tax money and get a new truck. Appreciate any help, thanks

Old 09-25-2017, 07:58 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

It will not increase the value by swapping the motor. In fact, that may even decrease the value. Mods do not increase the value of any vehicle. And, dumping 2 grand into an 18 year old truck is certainly not an "investment".

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-25-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:20 AM
Robertwav1
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DDupin
I want to make an investment. I’ll have about 2 grand at tax time. I have the options of keeping the 3.9 getting the body fixed and keeping it all original, or I could drop a 5.9 motor in the truck and sell the 3.9 and start modifying, I want to know which would be the best option to increase the value of the truck so I know I made a good investment, or would it be a waste of time when I could sell the truck and put that with my tax money and get a new truck. Appreciate any help, thanks
I'm a little old school but, if you want to make an investment with the 2 grand, drop it in a roth IRA for yourself. Keep the truck and fix er up and drive it. The longer you own the vehicle, the better value that vehicle becomes. It's fun and a challenge to keep an older vehicle running. JMO.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM
DDupin
Default Thanks.

thanks for the response, I appreciate it, so even though it’s in really good condition, it still wouldn’t be worth it huh? I got a great deal on this truck, I be been offered more than 3x what I paid for it.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 PM
DDupin
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Robertwav1
I'm a little old school but, if you want to make an investment with the 2 grand, drop it in a roth IRA for yourself. Keep the truck and fix er up and drive it. The longer you own the vehicle, the better value that vehicle becomes. It's fun and a challenge to keep an older vehicle running. JMO.

If I keep this truck I’m definitely fixing the body, but I’m a guy, I’m not gonna be able to not put money into it, exhaust??, lifted or lowered? Bagged? Definitely keep og rims!!! but idk. Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread