2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Help with Cheap and "Free mods"

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM
bluethrush
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Cheap and "Free mods"

hello folks.
New to the forums, not sure how current people stay with it but I'd thought to give a try anyway and I'd really appreciate the knowledge and help. Maybe we can make a permanent thread? "Common mods-cheap to most expensive"

A little bit about my blue girl "thrush" (115000 miles) Canadian imported. shes a nice lil 2000 sport with a tunneau spoiler that I have a CAI, thrush and 2 zip ties installed on it. I know... rice. Ive also got 31s that I want to relocate to have only on the back and smaller fronts. Not sure what specific dimensions yet.

so now after howling the thrush around I want to do two new things again. Remove the clutch fan to go electric. Remove the Air Conditioning and replace the belt with a shorter one. My questions are what size electric fan(s) should I go with or try to find. And has anyone done this and revived some Horsepower/torque with AC removal. If so, you know.. how much increase and any tips
Oh (I know it's getting lengthy) am I able to keep heat and defrost in the winter if Ac is gone?
thankyou

Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 PM
cpberry1
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Defrost not as effective...

...without the compressor, but the fan will still blow.

I put an electric fan, out of a Crown Vic, I think, in mine when I put the 4bt in. It's a 2-speed fan with an Off-Lo-Hi selector switch, run through relays.
At the same time I took out the AC compressor.
I don't know about torque improvement - the 4bt definitely has more than my 3.9 V6 did, but I can't say how much of that was the AC delete.

Patrick

Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 PM
bluethrush

Oh yes. the engine size on my truck is the 3.9l. And it's manual. So your fan out of a crown Vic works fine dimensionally? No cuts?
Would you say the engine is more responsive than before with the shorter belt?

Old 09-25-2017, 12:39 AM
44dakota
Veteran

you will free up some HP by getting the clutch fan off the engine, and if you want to take it a step further, find some under drive pulleys as well, but, removing the ac compressor will do absolutely nothing for hp, the ac only uses power when the ac is on, clutch is engaged, when ac is off the pulley spins free..

Old 09-25-2017, 01:29 AM
cpberry1
Professional
Default Clarification

Again, I never used a shorter belt with my gas 3.9l. I swapped in a Diesel engine and did the Crown Vic fan at the same time. I had the front end all apart at the time, so it wasn't a big deal to put in the e-fan.

With regards to your question, the compressor does use power from the motor while operating, so theoretically you'll free up some hp. On the other hand, will the butt dyno register 2 or 3 additional hp, especially on such a small motor? And do you like to be hot while you're grinning about finding the extra hp? The only expense is the cost of the belt - try it and see!

I did open up my air box and run a 3" PVC pipe from the box up to the grill while still running the gas engine. I "thought" I noticed a difference in engine response when I did that, but it didn't all of a sudden become a fire breathing race truck.

Experiment a little and let us know what you find.
Patrick

Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

best free/cheap mod.. as stated get rid of the factory mechanical fan clutch .. its harsh .. haha when I had my 92 318 I removed it and added a electric fan from a neon lol , with controller.. never had issue, and I'm in northern Ontario looks like your not far with that black plate anyway lol

my current 2003 4x4 quad cab its the first thing I did but was little more detailed since had to find something to screw back on to hold the pulley on.. since pulley didn't bolts on like my 92

Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM
bluethrush
Default Decision time

I'm definitely going to do the fan, just a matter of going to the scrap yard for the electrical components.
As far as the compressor, I might do it when it comes time that I have a second vehicle and I'll remove all the extra stuff. do the weight reduction thing.
Ultimate plan is to punch holes through the wheel wells and put in massive suspension. And roll cage

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 AM
bluethrush
Default The zip ties

those two zip ties are just secured behind the gas pedal so the throttle cable is taught and is able to open her up completely. It really helps for get up and since it's manual it works much better

Old 09-25-2017, 03:03 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by bluethrush
I'll remove all the extra stuff. do the weight reduction thing.

Ontario road salt will help you out with that HAHAHAH

Old 09-25-2017, 03:39 PM
bluethrush

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
Ontario road salt will help you out with that HAHAHAH
I know, but not with rock guard and proper care.
You should always keep conscious that you still have to clean your car in the winter. Even if it's just a quick 2dollar power wash underneath

side note: Ontario roads are starting to spray beet juice instead of salt