2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

clicking/popping underload..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:32 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clicking/popping underload..

2003 4.7 Quad cab AWD/4WD

now first off, this was after I had to maneuver over some rough terrain flexing suspension slowly a lot to recover a buddy that was stuck .. its all stock and still has bump stops

I thought it was a rock or something that got stuck since it went away once I started moving, but if I stomp on the throttle going straight it sounds like front cv shaft popping, but only does it when hard on throttle, if easy, cruising, turning, otherwise its quiet.. I checked for play in the cv shaft and seems fine. no ripped boots no play is it possible it extended to far in the terrain and damaged itself? maybe remove the boots and see? maybe bearing? but front checked no play ..

just want to see if its even possible to check before I rip it all apart to check..

Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Does it only do it in 4 wheel drive?

Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does it only do it in 4 wheel drive?
well wince I cant really shut it off.. being is AWD ... among other things ...

found that drivers side front cv shaft was binding and I guess driving wore it cause when I removed it to check it, had a lot of slop when turning forward/backward.. replaced with a brand new unit, not a refurb unit.. all was good then 15 minutes into driving BAM .. no longer able to move .. coasted to shoulder.. front drive shaft ate **** the t case side cv joint just obliterated inside the boot ...

removed the shaft.. in AWD mod.. cant move.. wth .. then remembering the stupid awd uses front as primary drive friggen Chrysler... put it in 4wd aka RWD for now lol and all is good.. now time to find a front drive shaft ..

anyone know how to measure these for getting the right length ? since the front has 2 sizes ..

Old 09-26-2017, 05:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is the difference between auto, and manual trans? Or possibly which automatic you happen to have?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:05 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the difference between auto, and manual trans? Or possibly which automatic you happen to have?
yea the 545fre auto or what have it ..lol didn't think driveshaft would do what it did .. but meh.. set to 4x4 and atleast got rwd lol shaft going in tomorrow for a rebuild of cv joint.. friggen prices are stupid :O

Old 09-26-2017, 06:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. I paid someone else to do that as well. I looked at it, thought about, said "no"..... took it to the shop, let THEM do it. Couple hundred later, I had a rebuilt shaft.....

Old 09-27-2017, 09:26 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

in the end.. 300cnd driveline shop is gonna rebuild it and replace the cv style with a u- joint style , apparently he see's these blow up alot on dakota's and jeep liberty's, and found doing the swap this way has never had any come back , let alone he has a balancer that balanced the shaft at 150mph.. so prolly be the best thing on the truck haha .. also comes with a 3 year warranty since he is replacing the axle side ujoint aswell..