2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front band anchor help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:22 PM
ahuertas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front band anchor help

Hey guys, I have a simple question that I need confirmation on. In rebuilding a 42RE transmission I found that the front band anchor was missing as well as the rear band strut. So here's the question. Looking online I find the anchor for sale but it's listed for 46-47-& 48RE transmissions, so, are those anchors compatible with a 42RE transmission? I would think they would be but not 100% & don't wanna order something that's not gonna fit. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-19-2017, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Check out the guys at transmissioncenter.net. Give 'em a call, they should be able to verify for you. (and even get you the right parts.....)

Old 11-23-2017, 12:40 AM
canopus

The 42RE does not have a front band anchor. It is anchored directly to the adjusting pin. It does not have a rear band strut like the front band either.
The 42RE is based on the TF904 transmission, where as the 46RE is based on the TF727. Two different transmissions on internals.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:17 AM
ahuertas

Originally Posted by canopus
The 42RE does not have a front band anchor. It is anchored directly to the adjusting pin. It does not have a rear band strut like the front band either.
The 42RE is based on the TF904 transmission, where as the 46RE is based on the TF727. Two different transmissions on internals.
That's just what I needed to know! Thanks canopus! Well seems like you really know this transmission so I'll ask you this since it's the one part I was unsure about. There's a plate on the back of the transmission where the spring cage is installed, looks to be directional. One side is completely flat & the other side has tapers on the holes. Which way does it go? I installed it with the flat side against the transmission. I hope I was right. Please tell me that's right!

Old 11-23-2017, 03:10 PM
canopus

Are talking about the Overrunning clutch cam? The one way sprag fits inside of it? There should be a missing bolt for it in the case that you align it to with the non-threaded hole in the cam. Looking into the case from the front, with it assembled and the inner race installed, when you turn the inner race counterclockwise it should lock and not turn. When you turn it clockwise, it should turn somewhat freely. Notice also the sprag aligns with it one way. If it doesn't do this, and locks when you turn it clockwise, you won't have first.

You do have a service manual don't you? you can find both online. The FSM and an ATSG. Also the parts diagrams are really helpful also, those are on almost any transmission part site. Just save them as a PDF.

Last edited by canopus; 11-23-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Clarification