2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Take off delayed shift from 2nd to first

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Jeremy Ivy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take off delayed shift from 2nd to first

Often when I'm doing rolling stops I give it the gas and it starts to go but slowly and then it finally shifts into first and we go.

no service engine lights.

it doesn't do it all the time. When it does I just give it more gas and it shifts.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:26 PM
canopus

Is there a question in here? With the details given, sounds normal. If you want it to shift to first sooner with less throttle, you can check your throttle cable adjustment for your year vehicle. But no guarantee that will change anything. What speed are you going on these stops?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 AM
Jeremy Ivy

Usually they are rolling stop to less than 5 miles an hour. Sometime the delay is so long thrle RPMs shoot up to say 2000 RPM and that's when your torque converter grabbs and it'll set at 2000 RPM and I'll start the creep and I'll make it sometimes all the way through the intersection before finally downshift. It's a 2002 Dakota with the 5.9. Basically sometime it sticks. But not always I believe a 2002 is electronic shift. I hadn't looked for a t c table but I just assumed. I was leaning towards the throttle positioning sensor or the shift solenoid being weak. For the most part not an issue but when you're pulling a trailer and you go to take off you give it the gas and you can hear the engine trying and the vehicle slowly taking off when there's traffic coming that could be a problem and then you know sometimes I wonder if she ever going to shift.

so long story short is sometimes it downshift when it should. Other times it' very delayed.

Last edited by Jeremy Ivy; 12-07-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Take off delayed shift from 2nd to first