2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission filters - Mopar vs aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Transmission filters - Mopar vs aftermarket

There is a thread on BITOG about the Driveworks engine oil filter and the general consensus was that they were decently constructed. Now I know that's not a tranmission filter, but I'd assume construction to be similar. Driverworks is Advance Auto, Chinese made house brand.

Now I've read some comments saying the aftermarkets may not have anti-drainback valve and that would allow the tranny cooler and lines to drain each time the truck is turned off. I haven't cut either open to verify whether Mopar has the valve and Driverworks doesn't. As I understand it, the valve is supposed to keep the filter primed so there is no starvation on startup. The thing is, the 45RE filter sits submerged in an inverted position anyway, so it's always primed by gravity, aftermarket or not.

My understanding of course, comes from engine oil filters. Am I missing something with regards to the dodge tranny? Is there more to the drainback valve than just keeping the filter primed. Is it also keeping the cooler and lines hydrated?

I have a Driveworks in my tranny right now with no issues for the past 4K.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/d...ntent=10711125

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-01-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:40 AM
KillerKilgore
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't know about the anti drainback keeping the filter primed. I'm thinkin' it keepin the fluid from drainin' back into the pan.

I can put it in terms that I know home pluming. Water and check valve.

If the water goes off due to a main line break. The check valve will keep what water in your home from draining back into the main line if you open a faucet.

Without the check valve when you open the faucet you introduce air into the system and that helps the water siphon back into the main line.

The anti drainback valve would do the same thing. From the highest closed point back to the anti drainback valve should be full of fluid (pressure side?). On the return side I guess air could get into the system and make it's way to the highest point.

That should hold true for any anti drainback valve.

I don't know if I right or wrong but that's what I'm thinkin. Somebody help me out or tell me I full of it and don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to respond on anti drain back, I don't have any idea about that.

I'm running an aftermarket trans filter & seal in my 46re, and it seems to be doing okay. No negative results, and the trannie performs as it should. It is such a bitch to change, that I'm not sure I'll ever change it out again.

I think if you have any question about using the aftermarket filter, go ahead and get the Mopar one. This isn't something you have to do very often, so if there's an additional expense to using OEM, it at least isn't a frequently recurring one.

There are some bright stars in the automotive filter world, Wix is the best, I think. I don't know about trannie filters, but most of NAPA's Gold line of engine oil filters are manufactured by Wix. Might be worth checking out.

When you do your oil change, be sure to get and install a trans pan drain plug. O'reilly and Autozone offer them, so does NAPA. they make life a lot easier if you're ever gonna pull the pan off again.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:22 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Thanks for the comments, so far. I installed a drain plug when I first changed the filters and subsequently drained again with ATF+4. I used the driveworks filter kits. The flat filter came with a rubber pan gasket. It's all buttoned up nice and tight, no leaks and the tranny seems to be doing fine. I was hoping to not do anything for a long time, other than drain and fill every now and then.

The thing that worries me is all the reading I've done here and there regarding the canister filter. Some say the Mopar's anti-drainback valve prevents the fluid in the torque converter from draining back into the pan. Some say it's the fluid in the cooler up by the radiator. So now I'm left wondering if everytime I start my truck with the Driveworks' supposed lack of the valve (the same probably goes from Wix, etc), the torque convertor or another part of the tranny is momentarily starved until the system primes. That would cause incremental damage. I really don't want to pull everything apart again but I might have to do so to put my mind at peace. If someone has intimate knowledge on this, please jump in.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-02-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Thanks for the comments, so far. I installed a drain plug when I first changed the filters and subsequently drained again with ATF+4. I used the driveworks filter kits. The flat filter came with a rubber pan gasket. It's all buttoned up nice and tight, no leaks and the tranny seems to be doing fine. I was hoping to not do anything for a long time, other than drain and fill every now and then.

The thing that worries me is all the reading I've done here and there regarding the canister filter. Some say the Mopar's anti-drainback valve prevents the fluid in the torque converter from draining back into the pan. Some say it's the fluid in the cooler up by the radiator. So now I'm left wondering if everytime I start my truck with the Driveworks' supposed lack of the valve (the same probably goes from Wix, etc), the torque convertor or another part of the tranny is momentarily starved until the system primes. That would cause incremental damage. I really don't want to pull everything apart again but I might have to do so to put my mind at peace. If someone has intimate knowledge on this, please jump in.
I know on mine, it takes 10 seconds of idle or 2-3 seconds at 2000 RPM before my trans starts doing anything. This would support your idea of the convertor or pump being dry.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

This applies to 2003 3.9 and 5.9 models but it give you an idea of where it is.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/C01.htm

Old 04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by magnethead
I know on mine, it takes 10 seconds of idle or 2-3 seconds at 2000 RPM before my trans starts doing anything. This would support your idea of the convertor or pump being dry.
Magnet... mine still engages instantly but that's where I might end up, LOL.

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
This applies to 2003 3.9 and 5.9 models but it give you an idea of where it is.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recalls/C01.htm
Dan, thanks. The mystery deepens. So what I get from this, is that the torque converter drainback valve is simply a ball in a metal line, up by the radiator. In other words, it lives outside of the tranny. Assuming the design is the same on my 03' Dakota (pretty sure it is) what the heck is the anti-drainback valve in the mopar filter for? Maybe it's a myth... I'd love to see one of these cut open.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-03-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:37 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The high point in the system is the torque converter. It can drain back into the pan when shut down. The spin-on filter, being inverted, can not drain. I don't know if it has an anti-drainback valve or not but it should not matter.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

The high point in the system is the torque converter. It can drain back into the pan when shut down. The spin-on filter, being inverted, can not drain. I don't know if it has an anti-drainback valve or not but it should not matter.
Yes, that's exactly what I was saying about the filter being inverted.

I eventually began to wonder about how much fluid would be held back by simple hydrostatic pressure, vs a spring-loaded valve. True, the filter itself, would not drain due to gravity.... but with no valve, the liquid must become level. How low is level...below the torque converter? If you pull off an engine oil filter, more oil will run out than the capacity of the filter. The valve would hold back more oil from draining, than simply having an inverted filter with no valve, right? Furthermore, the 4.7L engine oil filter is also inverted, yet there is a drainback valve.

Anyway, the link you provided injects a separate check valve into the equation. I'm feeling better but not in the clear yet.

Sorry, but you guys already know I'm **** by now. I just can't let it go.... LOL

Last edited by Dodgevity; 04-03-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Came across a thread with DakDan's answer to a cold starting shift delay in another thread. Now I'm reviving this old thread to ask a question. My 545RFE transmission has an anti-drainback valve in one of the cooler lines to prevent torque converter drain when the truck is sitting for long periods. Why does the Mopar cooler return filter also have an anti-drainback valve? This is a spin on filter, sitting inside the tranny, in an inverted position..... so what component is it preventing drainback for? Is it redundancy to prevent torque converter drain?

Hi Mike,

The torque converter is draining back.

TSB NUMBER: 21-015-05 9/1/2005

"A/T - 45RFE/545RFE Delayed Engagement After Filter R&R"

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves a transmission delayed shift condition that may occur following the replacement of the internal cooler return filter.

MODELS:

2000 - 2004 (AN) Dakota

2000 - 2003 (DN) Durango

2003 - 2006 (DR) Ram Truck

2004 - 2006 (HB) Durango

2002 - 2006 (KJ) Liberty

1999 - 2004 (WJ/WG) Grand Cherokee

2005 - 2006 (WK/WH) Grand Cherokee

2006 (XK) Commander

NOTE : This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 45RFE or a 545RFE automatic transmission (sales code DG4 or DGQ respectively).

DISCUSSION:

The customer may experience an initial delayed shift engagement following an extended off (not running) period of time, generally after being parked overnight. The initial shift engagement may feel like a delay or slip when a transmission gear (reverse or drive) is first selected after engine start.

The customer may not have experienced the delayed shift engagement until after the transmission has been serviced, where the cooler return filter was replaced during the service and/or repair.

The condition is not detrimental to the transmission but may cause concern with the customer.

The above condition may be caused by a suspect cooler return filter a part number of 04799662AB. This "AB" suffix / level filter may allow transmission fluid to drain back out of the torque converter. The drain back condition may occur over a period time when the engine (and transmission) are not running. With less fluid in the torque converter a delay in gear engagement may occur at engine start up while the torque converter fills to its proper fluid level.

All 04799662AB cooler return filters with the "AB" suffix are suspect. The above condition may be corrected by replacing a suspect "AB" filter with a new cooler return filter whose part number is 04799662 (with no suffix or with a suffix that is other than the "AB" level).
NOTE :The cooler return filter, p/n 04799662, will not be available until September 09, 2005. The filter part number is stenciled on the side of the filter case.

Quick Reply: Transmission filters - Mopar vs aftermarket