2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Question Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Dean Parker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More searching and I found a how to page, might be a good sticky here. http://www.craigcentral.com/durango/radio.asp

Old 12-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Dean Parker

Even with that link for the life of me I can't seem to wiggle that amp out of it's top bracket. I sure miss the way things were built in the 1950's and '60's,nothing was this hard to get at.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:04 PM
Dean Parker

I finally had a lot of time today and managed to wrangle the amp out, what a royal PITA!
I had to make a lever with some 2X4's to apply enough pressure to the bottom of it to make it break free from the j-hook bracket on the top.
I didn't think I got it at first but when I pulled down on it and wiggled it around it came out.
I found a new old stock amp on ebay and bought it so hopefully I'll have this factory stereo up and running again soon.
Those amps are discontinued and getting hard to find so I was lucky to get one that's brand new, it was the last one they had and the only other one on ebay was for "parts only not working" .
I Google searched looking for a new or used one and the only working one I found was the one I bought, cost me $125 but I guess that's not bad as hard to come by as they are.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I wired a bypass for it, the notes are somewhere in my build thread (Page 8 maybe?). You have to dremel the subaru connectors, but it works.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Dean Parker

Originally Posted by magnethead
I wired a bypass for it, the notes are somewhere in my build thread (Page 8 maybe?). You have to dremel the subaru connectors, but it works.
If I had it all to do over I would have done that, they make a kit for the bypass now but I was already invested in the factory stock stereo head.
It should be good to go once the new amp gets here.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 PM
Dean Parker

Well my brand new amp came today, hopefully I can get it installed this weekend and have the factory system working like new again.

Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM
Dean Parker

Sweet I have tunes, looks like I have an extra stereo head now so I'll hang on to it just in case. I think one of the rear speakers is bad so I'll check it out next but all else is golden at this point.

Quick Reply: Question Factory stereo no sound,'99 Dakota.