2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Starter going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 AM
bradz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get mad but its actually on a 99 blazer that im working on but its a starter and every vehicle has one and this forum is more active. I was leaning more towards rebuilding because it's cheaper. I don't have a warrenty on it because I didn't buy it. And i can't take it anywhere because I don't have a trailer and it won't turn over enough to fire up because of the starter. I have googled and searched for anything that resembles what this one is doing but all i find is either it does nothing or clicks. This one actually turns the engine over about twice then gives up. I appreciate the help

Old 01-11-2018, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Are you getting good voltage at the trigger wire for the solenoid? Needs to be at least 9 volts...... (purple wire on your Blazer. )

Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM
bradz
Rookie

I haven't had a chance yet. Leaving work Tuesday my truck had the fuel line break and pour gas out so i had to fix that and the rest of time I'm working.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:37 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Sounds like a bad bendix to me. You might be better off just biting the bullet and replacing it. But if you can find a starter/alternator shop nearby, that would be my next move. Depending on the year, the GM is probably also a nippendenso. They are very popular OEM starter/solenoid combinations, only thing different is their mounting bosses.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:48 PM
bradz
Rookie

This is what the starter is doing. I took the starter out and took the starter apart and everything in the starter looked fine. I put it back together and back on and it does the same thing. I didn't take the solenoid apart so I'm guessing that it's the problem. I checked the voltage on the small wire and it gets battery voltage (12.6x volts) with the key at start. I'm going to try to get a junkyard starter tomorrow if i can find a place open and see what happens. With my luck I'll get one with a bad solenoid and still be in the same boat.

Attached Files
File Type: avi
starter.avi (3.20 MB, 1 views)
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM
bradz
Rookie

Got a pull a part starter and it actually works like it's supposed to. My guess is that the solenoid on the brand new starter was bad. Thanks for the help and maybe this will help someone else with the same symptoms.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Seems to be a lot of that going around. Wasn't a CarQuest starter, by any chance, was it?

Old 01-16-2018, 07:12 PM
bradz
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Seems to be a lot of that going around. Wasn't a CarQuest starter, by any chance, was it?
it is a driveworks from advance. I knew there was a reason i never go there lol. I'd rather go to one of the other 2 and have them price match for their store brand if it's something i really need and don't have much cash.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Every parts store has it's 'cheap' brand, and while the name may change, they likely come from the same facility...... I have had brand new parts from autozone fail within a couple days...... I have had parts from just about all of them be bad right out of the box. (including rock auto.) Its more what brand you are buying, than what store you are buying it from. Another guy went thru four 'rebuilt' starters, until he finally elected to spend the case on a NEW one, and that solved his issues.

Quick Reply: Starter going bad?