2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dakota won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:37 PM
ncman071
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota won't start

I have a 2004 4.7L V8 Dodge Dakota. I tried to crank it this morning and it would not start. It would just click. Tried jumping it with cables and it still fails to start, just clicks...i can see the radiator fan slowly turning...not sure whats wrong...battery? alternator? starter?...i am by no means a mechanic. Thank you all for any help of suggestions!

--Justin

Old 01-16-2018, 08:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by ncman071
I have a 2004 4.7L V8 Dodge Dakota. I tried to crank it this morning and it would not start. It would just click. Tried jumping it with cables and it still fails to start, just clicks...i can see the radiator fan slowly turning...not sure whats wrong...battery? alternator? starter?...i am by no means a mechanic. Thank you all for any help of suggestions!

--Justin
Wrong section. Did you even read it?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Sounds like a bad starter..... Moving to 2nd gen Dakota section.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 AM
bradz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ncman071

--Justin
If it just clicks once and everything like the gauge lights go off even after you let go of the key then it's probably a bad connection at the battery. Unhook the battery and clean the connectors and terminals and hook it back up and make sure it's tight on the battery and where the wires attach to the connectors. If the lights stay on after you let go of the key then it's probably your starter solenoid. Try tapping on the starter while someone else has the key turned to start. If it starts then replace the starter or take it to a rebuild shop. If it clicks multiple times real fast then I'd say your battery is dead. The only other thing I can think of that it could be is that the engine has seized (locked up) if all it will do is click. Hope this helps and good luck.

Quick Reply: Dakota won't start