2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tips for bleeding 3.9L cooling system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 05:42 PM
fastfeat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for bleeding 3.9L cooling system?

Duplicate.

Last edited by fastfeat; 01-15-2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Delete-- duplicate.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 PM
fastfeat
Amateur
Default Tips for bleeding 3.9L cooling system?

I see lots about the need to bleed cooling systems of 4.7L vehicles. But I've got a 3.9L 5spd '02 that seems to have air in the system. Is there a way to bleed these?

(FWIW, I drove this truck with about 180K from Miami to LA about 10 days ago. It's had a leak in radiator at plastic tank for months, bypassed heater core, but I've learned to manage it for the time being (black pepper, loose cap, top off as needed), wanting to replace with an upgraded single row or else a 2-row replacement. Used only about 3gal coolant in my trip, incl 15F in AL plus some nice 75MPH runs down TX state hwys... The Stant had broken the red lever so I put a new one on Sat. Apparently even fairly loose, it generated enuf pressure in 85F LA heat to blow most of my coolant out through the leak and overflow tank. I've tried running no cap and just filling with water, but has gone thru 10 gal in 2 days. Trying to get to San Diego where I can have a good replacement sent via Amazon, but not at that rate of water/coolant loss. And no shops I've called in LA/OC want to install whatever they can get max profit from. I know my boss will pay the $350-400 for an R&R with a Chinese POS, but I'm hauling a trailer back to Miami in spring; I'd prefer knowing I'll get there via an upgraded unit. Til then, I need to eliminate air and basically put me back at the same state that got me across country, just for a few more days...)

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Is the radiator leaking? Or the overflow bottle? If it's the radiator, your only choice is replacement. The leak will only get worse. (yes, voice of experience.....)

Old 01-16-2018, 11:04 AM
fastfeat
Amateur

Leak is in radiator, and I plan on replacing it (with an upgraded unit via Amazon) once I get to SD.

I followed advice of others and massaged the upper rad hose as engine warmed. Gotten to SD Co line...about 45 mi til I'm home free... Thanks, all.

Quick Reply: Tips for bleeding 3.9L cooling system?