2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2001 01 Dakota 3.9L Crank no start No fuel No spark Replaced PCM, TPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 06:13 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I had a BWD oreilly's CPS that was throwing all kinds of weird misfires and other fault codes. Fought it and fought it, finally got a mopar sensor, all 7 codes I had went away and the truck ran better.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I had a BWD oreilly's CPS that was throwing all kinds of weird misfires and other fault codes. Fought it and fought it, finally got a mopar sensor, all 7 codes I had went away and the truck ran better.
And you are not the only one I have seen this from either. It's far too common. The dodge trucks just don't like aftermarket sensors in critical locations.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:26 PM
ru4him2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skreelink
You have a faulty sensor then, return it to the store you got it from and get one from another place. If you manage to get it running with one from somewhere else, I would suggest parking it at home until you can get the OEM sensor.
I installed the autozone replacement Crank Sensor and it cranked right up. I have a Mopar crank sensor on order.

When I put the negative terminal back on the battery I saw a little spark (It's dark here). The key was not in the ignition. Is that normal or is there a short?

Also, after starting it and killing it a couple of times, codes 0712 and 0121 showed up in the odometer.

0121 Throttle valve/pedal position sensor.

0712 Transmission oil temperature sensor (signal too small)

The 0712 has been showing up every time I reset the codes and start it up again. I replaced the tranny solenoid and the transducer a couple of years ago and it didn't help.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted. Thanks

Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Skreelink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ru4him2
I installed the autozone replacement Crank Sensor and it cranked right up. I have a Mopar crank sensor on order.

When I put the negative terminal back on the battery I saw a little spark (It's dark here). The key was not in the ignition. Is that normal or is there a short?

Also, after starting it and killing it a couple of times, codes 0712 and 0121 showed up in the odometer.

0121 Throttle valve/pedal position sensor.

0712 Transmission oil temperature sensor (signal too small)

The 0712 has been showing up every time I reset the codes and start it up again. I replaced the tranny solenoid and the transducer a couple of years ago and it didn't help.

Any suggestions are gratefully accepted. Thanks
The little zap when connecting the negative is completely normal, I get that on all mine when reconnecting terminals. As far as the codes go, make sure you seated the TPS connector good and check your throttle valve cable (it's connected by the throttle cable leading back to the transmission) make sure it's not loose or unhooked. The transducer is also a finicky sensor that likes to go out, however I've heard you have some options for it. Either mopar or Borg Warner (seems to be the prefered actually). I'd say grab a new set of transducer/solenoid and get the transfluid changed. The screen on the sensor might be clogged. Glad to hear it's running again though!

EDIT: Also try looking under the truck and making sure the connector for the transmission is seated good, or unplug/reseat it and doesn't have a worn spot in the wiring.

Last edited by Skreelink; 01-15-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:13 PM
ru4him2

Originally Posted by Skreelink
The little zap when connecting the negative is completely normal, I get that on all mine when reconnecting terminals. As far as the codes go, make sure you seated the TPS connector good and check your throttle valve cable (it's connected by the throttle cable leading back to the transmission) make sure it's not loose or unhooked. The transducer is also a finicky sensor that likes to go out, however I've heard you have some options for it. Either mopar or Borg Warner (seems to be the prefered actually). I'd say grab a new set of transducer/solenoid and get the transfluid changed. The screen on the sensor might be clogged. Glad to hear it's running again though!

EDIT: Also try looking under the truck and making sure the connector for the transmission is seated good, or unplug/reseat it and doesn't have a worn spot in the wiring.
When I replaced the transducer and solenoid I used Mopar parts, replaced the filter and changed fluid.

NOBUS AGAIN!!! The engine started several times today with a low RPM and then would die. Started right back up again, same thing. Now I get a NobuS code again and have a crank - no start - no fuel again. I have the Mopar Crank Sensor on order. I just got the wheel well liner and heat shield snug and tight.

The throttle valve cable is loose. The accelerator cable is also loose.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:02 PM
ru4him2

Just got out of the hospital after an extended operation then redo. I have to restart this after I can get up and around.

I did put a new Mopar Crankshaft Position Sensor in.

Still got nobus
Is there something I may be missing?
Is it possible that the camshaft position sensor is the problem?
Does it talk to the PCM?
I am still getting crank with no fuel, no spark.

Any suggestions appreciated. I have to get this truck up and going.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Start unplugging engine sensors, one at a time. (while ignition is off.) then, turn the key on, (not start) and see if you actually get rid of the no-bus error. That *should* tell you which sensor is annoying the PCM.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:31 AM
ru4him2

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Start unplugging engine sensors, one at a time. (while ignition is off.) then, turn the key on, (not start) and see if you actually get rid of the no-bus error. That *should* tell you which sensor is annoying the PCM.
Do this?

Turn the key back on after each disconnect.
If nobus appears, turn off key, then reconnect that one.

Disconnect the others, one at a time, until nobus is gone.

Do you know how many sensors there are are where they are?Do this:

Old 02-11-2018, 02:19 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie

it is def a electrical probleme. maybe caused by a internally shorted sensor or a single wire trolling around.
mine ( 99 dakota 3.9 ) did that for a long time... ****load of random codes that made no sense...
it was just the IAC internally shorted. bought one at kenny-u-pull junkyard on a dakota and voila.

HeyYou have the best methode. even better than a DRB scan tool for this particular situation.

also just to be sure check 5v reference on the PCM. should be 5v.
here are all 3 connector pinouts for a 2000 dak but should be same as your 2001 ram.
i dont have any ram FSM

Old 02-12-2018, 03:37 PM
ru4him2

Originally Posted by TheMadCanadian
it is def a electrical probleme. maybe caused by a internally shorted sensor or a single wire trolling around.
mine ( 99 dakota 3.9 ) did that for a long time... ****load of random codes that made no sense...
it was just the IAC internally shorted. bought one at kenny-u-pull junkyard on a dakota and voila.

HeyYou have the best methode. even better than a DRB scan tool for this particular situation.

also just to be sure check 5v reference on the PCM. should be 5v.
here are all 3 connector pinouts for a 2000 dak but should be same as your 2001 ram.
i dont have any ram FSM

Thanks for the pointers. Do you know how many sensors speak to the PCM that would give a nobus? Do the 02 sensors count? Map sensor?

Quick Reply: 2001 01 Dakota 3.9L Crank no start No fuel No spark Replaced PCM, TPS