2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

01' Dakota Will Not Crank

Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 AM
Jack_Sarf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01' Dakota Will Not Crank

Hi all,

So just a little backstory before I get into the issues. I purchased a 01' Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4.7 with 158k miles on it. Having no issues for the first 2k miles, I got into an accident where I needed to replace the drivers side door as well as a mirror. I drove it home from the accident with no issues, drove it to my buddies shop, installed the door and mirror and drove it home without an issue. The next morning I go to start the truck up and have no power with the engine running - no turn signal, radio, wipers, etc, but power to everything mentioned before while in accessory. While I was taking my truck to my buddies shop again, the truck began to stall. After disassembling the ignition, we find the ignition switch is fried - replace that and everything seems to be back to normal. Anddddd, we had the same problem the next day, no power to anything while turned on. After I banged the steering column a bit, I got power to everything. Drove it a bit, and parked it back home with no problems at all. Next morning, I have the same issue except this time when I went to turn the truck off, the key got stuck between accessory and on and all power was on while engine was running. Turned it off, smelled something burnt, now the truck will not crank. Checked all fuses and relays and found a burned starter fuse, replaced that and still had nothing. Disassembled the steering column, replaced the ignition cylinder, still no luck. Then, went into the ignition switch and started the truck with a screw driver - go figure, starts up no problem with full power. Put everything back together, used key to start and the truck started up no problemo, drove it a bit and it felt great. Parked it turned it off, started an hour later just to make sure it will still running and had no problems. Of course there's not a happy ending - went to start this morning with no luck. Won't crank, only noise is what sounds to be a fan or somethin when the key is turned. Checked fuses and none are burnt out. Brings me to a two questions - Could the door be causing these problems? What the hell is the problem?. Trying to avoid bringing it to a shop because i'm on budget, hoping this community can save my ***.

Thanks.

Jack

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01' Dakota Will Not Crank