2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck starts and drive BUT P0136 w/ new o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 04:30 PM
bakaryu18
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am real curious what the difference is between a sensor for a manual trans, and a sensor for an auto.... I suspect it is only the length of the harness.....

So, I should return the Bosch o2 sesnor? I'm thinking about trying to rig the manual one to work.
I know it says for P0420, but what about P0136?

The Manual length of the harness is a bit longer.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Put the other sensor in, see if the problem goes away.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Put the other sensor in, see if the problem goes away.
The other being a Denso, i don't think it will.

OP, the OEM brand of O2 sensors is NTK. They're the only ones known good. Bosch's as you have seen will throw codes for days. I wouldn't be surprised of Denso does the same.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 PM
Skreelink
Veteran

Originally Posted by magnethead
The other being a Denso, i don't think it will.

OP, the OEM brand of O2 sensors is NTK. They're the only ones known good. Bosch's as you have seen will throw codes for days. I wouldn't be surprised of Denso does the same.
I pulled Bosch's out of my truck when I got it, put in Denso front and rear, haven't had any O2 codes or crap mileage. NTK or Denso should do well, been almost a year since I put them in. Denso has generally been my go-to if I can't find NTK, and my truck seems to like them well enough, so they'll stay until they start throwing codes, and I'll grab some NTKs. I've never had luck with Bosch in ANY vehicle as far as O2 sensors go.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, dodge used both NTK, and Denso sensors stock. Guess it depended on who had the lower price that week.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:17 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Yeah, dodge used both NTK, and Denso sensors stock. Guess it depended on who had the lower price that week.
news to me, had no idea Denso was also an OEM.

You think Bosch narrowbands are bad, their widebands are a hoot. 4.2's are a PITA and 4.9's did not improve much. I'm currently looking at going with NTK wide's.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by magnethead
news to me, had no idea Denso was also an OEM.

You think Bosch narrowbands are bad, their widebands are a hoot. 4.2's are a PITA and 4.9's did not improve much. I'm currently looking at going with NTK wide's.
I don't know if it's bosch that's bad, or if its Dodge that's picky. I have used bosch parts in other applications without problems, but, the dodge trucks I have owned have universally HATED aftermarket electronics, regardless of who makes them. IAC, O2, TPS, Crank and Cam sensors..... I have seen far too many, and directly experienced occasions when new, aftermarket sensors, did not solve problems, (and some even introduced new problems......) but, swap 'em out with OEM? Problems disappear. It's bizarre.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:06 PM
bakaryu18

I got my Truck working! Engine light was off for enough time to pass emissions!! got two years registration and Just insured it today!!
I'm happy. $1700 later truck and everything inside works! Not including the price of the truck.

Quick Reply: Truck starts and drive BUT P0136 w/ new o2 sensor