2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

42re problem again

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:10 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

right now the truck is stored under 2 ft of snow. in 1 month it's out. but from last ride, when cold everything is fine. even been road tested by a mechanic ( was cold so he couldnt find anything wrong ) and he didnt had time to take a longer ride at this moment to test hot condition.

i'm trying to figure right now so i'm ready to fix it when i get it out on the road again.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

First you need to verify which problem you have. O/D, or TCC. The O/D off lite being shouldn't disable TCC, you just get TCC in third gear...... (and I think there are variations in the programming as well, as both my 96, and my 98, would hit TCC first, and then shift into o/d, which, ostensibly, is the opposite of how its supposed to work.....)

Old 02-11-2018, 10:29 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
as both my 96, and my 98, would hit TCC first, and then shift into o/d, which, ostensibly, is the opposite of how its supposed to work.....)
Heaven forbid the engineers from 96-04 have any kind of methodical thought process. I have yet to see signs of a single one.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
Heaven forbid the engineers from 96-04 have any kind of methodical thought process. I have yet to see signs of a single one.
Sometimes I think engineers are actually 13 year old kids, with a knack for programming, and a lack of ability to follow directions.....

I was at a hotel in St. Louis for the annual gathering one year..... (92? 93?? Somewhere in there....) And I was talking to a guy, only to discover that he was an engineer for GM, he worked in the powertrain design department. That raised my eyebrows... and I mentioned to him that I knew a bunch of folks that would dearly love to choke the life out of him. (I worked at a Chevy Dealer at the time.....) His eyes got real big, and it was: "But, but, but..... WHY?????" And I asked him, You ever worked on anything you designed? Of course he said No.... I suggested he try it some time.... Don't know if he ever actually did.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was OD was working fine until my right control **** broke. I got a custom 'shift handle' and just pulled the wires down and cut them off,
taped them apart , stuck them under the dash. If I ever want to turn the OD off , cross the wires.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:59 PM
TheMadCanadian
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

redneck solution but it work xD
my problem isnt the same tho

Quick Reply: 42re problem again