2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best 1/4 mile times possible with 3.9 v6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:49 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by tdcubbage
Anyways my question is can a v6 run 10s in the 1/4 with these mods or even close to that? I seen where another RT owner did it with only around 500hp. Some i have some im getting. I know a v8 could do it easier BUT... And the gains i think that would be had and mods are:
Air intake +2-5hp
Bigger TB +5-10hp
Kegger Mod +10-15hp
Ford 4 hole injectors +5-10hp
Headers +10-15hp
High flow cat +2-5hp
Exhaust +2-5 hp
Ignition upgrade +5-10hp
Programmer +10-15hp
Roller Rockers +15-20hp

Electric Fan +5-10hp
UD pullies +5-10hp

I don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but, The list above probably will not make more then 10-20 rwhp on a stock engine, if that. And at that, the 2 main ones that will help slightly, are the Roller Rockers, especially if you go 1.7 ratio, and the electric fans. Be careful buying into the advertised hype behind aftermarket parts with claims to hp increase.
Real power is made with real changes such as
1. better flowing heads, and a matching cam.
2. Superchargers
3. Nitrous

And all of these work assuming the rest of the package is up to the task, and mainly I am referring to the engine being tuned.

Oh, and just one other thing, rarely will you find a street car running both a blower and nitrous.
For more power, you would usually increase boost on a blower or increase nitrous on a nitrous car.

While it can be done, and there can be some advantages, but if cost of build is a primary consideration, I would not do it.

Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 PM
tdcubbage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=magnethead;3381313]A

Hello. Thanks for the input. I got most of the hp gain info off other post on this forum. That does confuse me tho as to which is correct. When ive seen alot of write ups on mods that claim to be worth while. Especially the bigger tb. The hs 1.7 rr. The kegger mod etc. I feel they would have atleast netted 10 hp a piece otherwise the gain would not have been felt. I also saw a guy ask if 300 crank hp was possible out of a stock 360 with pure bolt ons. Most ppl felt it was possible. So there has to be some sort of gain. Im aware of sellers market hype gains but even at 2.5hp per mod u gain more than 10-20hp otherwise noone would modify and noone would report faster times before and after mods. Your right tho i dont see many ppl run boost and spray. But i do know with both you retard timing. I feel it all be in the tune which i cant do. We have a dyno shop an hour away that id let them handle whenever i get to that point. Id only wanna run the safe amount of boost at 8 psi which the pulley already comes and id only run 100-150 shot max since the guys on this forum claim that a stock internal v8 can handle that.

Last edited by tdcubbage; 02-28-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:34 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

I am pulling some of the mods suggested and putting them together. And actually, these are the ones I really doubt.
Throttle body 5 to 10 hp.
4 hole injectors 5 to 10 hp
high flow cat. 2 to 5 hp
Ignition upgrade? 5 to 10hp

In short, with these alone, are we saying mopar left 17 to 35 hp on the table? And these would be mods that would cost little, if any during manufacturing, and have no effect on the way the truck runs other then making more power, again if the claims were true

Now mods like exhaust, (noise) underdrive pulleys, (problems at idle) programmer, (emissions and reliability ) roller rockers, (noise and cost )
These items, even with small gains have a trade off.....

Old 02-28-2018, 06:30 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

The problem that is most prevelent on these motors, thanks to the EPA, is that they are choked. Not just a little choked. Alot choked. Like rapist choking a woman until she passes out, then hides the body. That's kinda what the EPA did to these motors. Choked them out and hid the power.

The entire induction system- tiny TB, tiny intake runners, tiny intake ports, tiny valves, tiny exhaust ports, tiny exhaust manifolds.... the whole system is wayyy undersized.

Bolt on a 52x55 or a 2x58 F&B throttle body, any 4 barrel intake of your choosing (with 2bbl adapter), a decent set of 2.02 heads, and Spintech mids, and you'll see a huge chunk magically appear.

Ryan is doing an A/B test right now with a truck on stock manifolds, vs same truck with mids.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 PM
tdcubbage

Originally Posted by magnethead
The problem that is most prevelent on these motors, thanks to the EPA, is that they are choked. Not just a little choked. Alot choked. Like rapist choking a woman until she passes out, then hides the body. That's kinda what the EPA did to these motors. Choked them out and hid the power.

The entire induction system- tiny TB, tiny intake runners, tiny intake ports, tiny valves, tiny exhaust ports, tiny exhaust manifolds.... the whole system is wayyy undersized.

Bolt on a 52x55 or a 2x58 F&B throttle body, any 4 barrel intake of your choosing (with 2bbl adapter), a decent set of 2.02 heads, and Spintech mids, and you'll see a huge chunk magically appear.

Ryan is doing an A/B test right now with a truck on stock manifolds, vs same truck with mids.
Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I am pulling some of the mods suggested and putting them together. And actually, these are the ones I really doubt.
Throttle body 5 to 10 hp.
4 hole injectors 5 to 10 hp
high flow cat. 2 to 5 hp
Ignition upgrade? 5 to 10hp

In short, with these alone, are we saying mopar left 17 to 35 hp on the table? And these would be mods that would cost little, if any during manufacturing, and have no effect on the way the truck runs other then making more power, again if the claims were true

Now mods like exhaust, (noise) underdrive pulleys, (problems at idle) programmer, (emissions and reliability ) roller rockers, (noise and cost )
These items, even with small gains have a trade off.....
I see that you think a little different then alot of people on here. Alot of ppl think very highly of the mods you find useless. I dont think chrysler forgot anything persay but i think they designed the motor for best power/mileage combo for every day use. And yal say these motors are choked but ive been told that Magnum heads are some of the best heads designed...? Please note that my dakota is driven once a week at best and mileage is irrelevant. Ive owned trans ams and mustangs and they responded to mods very well...?

Old 02-28-2018, 09:11 PM
tdcubbage

Also ive noticed that people have posted dyno sheets of mods with a tune mind you with gains like
Longtubes 30+ hp
Roller rockers 25+hp
Custom dual exhaust with h pipe 20+hp
If none of this is true or possible then alot of threads on here would be totally useless??? I love hearing you guys insight but i dont wanna feel im wasting all my money for "no gain" but other ppl claim to of achieved great results??
Heres a link with some very combative info.
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149548#/topics/149548

Last edited by tdcubbage; 02-28-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:51 PM
magnethead
Legend

you have to rememver that not all dyno's read the same. the same truck might make 20hp difference between a superflow and a dynojet. there are 2 other dyno types out there i can't think off hand.

ryan completed the a/b test today with mid-length headers. end result being 9 hp and 14 pounds of torque.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 PM
magnethead
Legend

what you will see alot of the time is data skew. somebody might conpare a stock manifolds when it's 95 degtees in summer, to mids or long tubes when its 45 degrees in winter. yea, then you might get a huge swing. same with most any comparison. until you know all the data, you kbow none of the data other than some random numbers.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:53 AM
tdcubbage

what you will see alot of the time is data skew. somebody might conpare a stock manifolds when it's 95 degtees in summer, to mids or long tubes when its 45 degrees in winter. yea, then you might get a huge swing. same with most any comparison. until you know all the data, you kbow none of the data other than some random numbers.
So Ryan gained 9hp and 14 lbs TQ with just the headers? Think that's a good gain. A guy once told me it cost $100 per horsepower so I guess that's great since headers go from $ 65-500. I really appreciate you guys information. Tell me this, are you saying that in my position you would skip every bolt on since they yeild no gain or a small one and jump right to the supercharger or nitrous?? Or would you agree that all these mods would complement each other well, maybe not on a NA motor but a boosted one??

Old 03-01-2018, 12:51 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

First off, are we talking about a 3.9 V6 or a 5.9 V8?

My comments on the bolt ons are aimed at the V6, which is what the OP started with.
FWIW it appears that both the v6 and v8 used the same exhaust. That being said, It would be more restrictrive on a V8, ie: more air flow through same size pipe etc.

A larger throttle body on a stock motor will give the illusion of making more power. What I mean by this, a throttle opening of 20 percent will allow more air in on a larger throttle body so it feels more powerful. But at full throttle, if the stock throttle body is not restricting air flow, then the larger one will not make more power.

You cant compare a stock 3.9 motor with bolt on mods to a 5.9.......

Im not trying to offend or argue with you. Im just trying to give you some common sense advise on what you expect for your mods......

You said, and I quote. ( Anyways my question is can a
v6 v6
run 10s in the 1/4 with these mods or even close to that?
)

Im saying no way, no how, will a 3.9 (street) dakota run in the 10's or even close.

Start with a V8 and pref. the 5.9 and go from there.

BTW you mentioned you wanted to run both a blower and nitrous. What is your reasoning for running both?

Last edited by 93 ragtop; 03-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Best 1/4 mile times possible with 3.9 v6?