2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Best 1/4 mile times possible with 3.9 v6?

Old 03-01-2018, 01:21 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 152 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tdcubbage
So Ryan gained 9hp and 14 lbs TQ with just the headers? Think that's a good gain. A guy once told me it cost $100 per horsepower so I guess that's great since headers go from $ 65-500. I really appreciate you guys information. Tell me this, are you saying that in my position you would skip every bolt on since they yeild no gain or a small one and jump right to the supercharger or nitrous?? Or would you agree that all these mods would complement each other well, maybe not on a NA motor but a boosted one??
The truck had been previously tuned by Ryan on manifolds. Corbin had ETM install the mid's and Ryan re-tuned it. So it was a fair assessment: headers gained 9/14 for the identical truck with only 1 change made.

The headers would likely be worth less on a stock tune before and after truck; meanwhile the gain would be more going from a stock tune/stock manifolds to headers with tune. Therein, why I mention that you have to know ALL the data. Not just some of it.

Old 03-01-2018, 03:24 PM
tdcubbage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the thread did start about the v6 but magnethead talked me into getting a v8. I said earlier that i had picked up a v8 for cheap and now any questions i ask will be pertaining to the v8. Sorry for the confusion. I will be selling my v6 to offset the cost of the v8. It should be here early next week.

Old 03-01-2018, 04:18 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes the thread did start about the v6 but magnethead talked me into getting a v8. I said earlier that i had picked up a v8 for cheap and now any questions i ask will be pertaining to the v8. Sorry for the confusion. I will be selling my v6 to offset the cost of the v8. It should be here early next week.

Well good luck!! And I look forward to your updates! From others that I have talked to, (first gen forum) that have gone from the V6 to a V8 and especially the 5.9 were very happy....
I believe you will have a much easier time modifying the 5.2-5.9 vs the V6. There is just so little support for that V6 motor.

Old 03-01-2018, 05:32 PM
tdcubbage

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Well good luck!! And I look forward to your updates! From others that I have talked to, (first gen forum) that have gone from the V6 to a V8 and especially the 5.9 were very happy....
I believe you will have a much easier time modifying the 5.2-5.9 vs the V6. There is just so little support for that V6 motor.
Thanks, im not sure if you know the answer to this or not but, the v8 came out of a 94 ram. Where i see most swaps are from dakota to dakota from 97-04. Its still a magnum v8. Do you know of anything that wouldnt be the same on the ram engine as a dakota? Ive been told rumors before of a different size oil pan???

Old 03-01-2018, 10:09 PM
magnethead
Legend

Thanks, im not sure if you know the answer to this or not but, the v8 came out of a 94 ram. Where i see most swaps are from dakota to dakota from 97-04. Its still a magnum v8. Do you know of anything that wouldnt be the same on the ram engine as a dakota? Ive been told rumors before of a different size oil pan???
Ram and Dakota use 2 different oil pans. 94 would be OBD1, i'm not sure about all the electronics.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:13 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The oil pan for the v8 is fairly cheap. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...e,oil+pan,5562
As far as sensors goes, I dont know.
I have heard on 1st gen section, that everything will transfer over from your stock 3.9 to a 5.2-5.9. That the sensors and accessories are the same, for the most part. Most claim that you can use the stock harness and add the 2 additional injector wires to your v6 harness. But those are all but 96 model going to be OBD1 trucks. Yours may be different.

My swap is going a different way then yours. Mine is a 87 so it came with a carb. from the factory. I am going with a 5.9 and a 7577 Edelbrock intake, along with a 670 holley carb. Then adding a HEI ignition.
Im sorry, cant be of much help on the electronic side......

Old 03-02-2018, 06:40 AM
tdcubbage

Do you think obdl might be beneficial to me, werent they alot less picky? Only had one 02 sensor? I know the pcm in my truck now is a picky sob. Always throwing a code for o2 sensors that are new. I thought about doing a carb swap once but of course ppl shot that down with the whys and what fors??? Saying EFI was always best, i dont know. And ragtop you asked earlier why i was trying to do both boost spray...my theory behind that was trying to build a fast truck on a budget. I was gonna leave the internals stock and not build it for boost or spray but in return i was only gonna run a safe 8lbs of boost with the blower all the time street and track. And then occasionally the 100 shot which is suppose to be safe on a factory engine. I dont like the idea of only nitrous simply because i like to have the power all the time, not just when i push a button. If i were to do only one it would be the SC. But yeah that was my logic hahah.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:24 PM
magnethead
Legend

Depending on where you live, OBD2 is required to pass inspection.

You can swap all the sensors over. You'll have to wire in 2 new injectors to the PCM. I forget what year yours is, but 99 down should be EV1 connector and 00+ should be EV6/USCAR connector. Can get the pigtails online. Or just get a V8 donor harness from a 97-02 5.2/5.9 . You'll likely need a new PCM.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 AM
tdcubbage

Thanks magnethead. I was going to get a obdl harness and computer. Ive heard talk of intake manifold differences? Something about egr? Do you know if that would matter if i was to buy a M1 intake...?

Old 03-03-2018, 05:10 PM
tdcubbage

Or maybe a better question is, is it difficult to make a v8 from a obdl truck compatible with a obdll truck. Can i just swap any different sensors over to the obdl motor and it work fine with the obdll computer? The motors look identical but i know there was some differences.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best 1/4 mile times possible with 3.9 v6?