2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

'02 3.9 alternator R&R basics-- what tools do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 AM
fastfeat
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '02 3.9 alternator R&R basics-- what tools do I need?

My '02 3.9 5spd decided to have its alternator crap out today, tho it gave signs over several days. The battery gauge slammed full left after slowly creeping below 12V; Check Gages indicator on, then finally drained newer battery. At least I got it into hotel parking lot...

I have some basic wrenches and sockets here with me at hotel. But do I need anything specialized, say for serpentine belt tensioning, afterwards? Bottom line-- can I do this easily enough in an hotel parking lot in the rain? Or should I just have someone flatbed it out to a local mechanic while I stay dry?

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Skreelink
Veteran

A basic socket and wrench set is all you need for an alternator. It's right up on top, disconnect the electrical connections (should be a plug and a 10mm nut). Use a wrench on the tensioner pulley, counter-clockwise should begin to release tension on the belt. You might have to pull the wrench-on-wrench extension trick for enough leverage. As I recall, this was a 14 or 15mm. Trickiest part is getting the belt around the pulley both ways. Couple bolts and the alternator comes right out, should be 15~30 minutes.

EDIT: Make sure to disconnect the battery first, for your own safety and sanity. Accidentally grounding out the alternator connection will end up blowing the 100A alternator fuse and just add something else to change.

Last edited by Skreelink; 03-20-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM
fastfeat
Amateur

Originally Posted by Skreelink
A basic socket and wrench set is all you need for an alternator. It's right up on top, disconnect the electrical connections (should be a plug and a 10mm nut). Use a wrench on the tensioner pulley, counter-clockwise should begin to release tension on the belt. You might have to pull the wrench-on-wrench extension trick for enough leverage. As I recall, this was a 14 or 15mm. Trickiest part is getting the belt around the pulley both ways. Couple bolts and the alternator comes right out, should be 15~30 minutes.

EDIT: Make sure to disconnect the battery first, for your own safety and sanity. Accidentally grounding out the alternator connection will end up blowing the 100A alternator fuse and just add something else to change.
Good deal...thanks much for the info. Will pick up a new (prob remanufactured for now) one at lunch; maybe can install this afternoon before rain begins.

Quick Reply: '02 3.9 alternator R&R basics-- what tools do I need?