2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Headlights quit working 2000 DAKOTA Sport 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 PM
Jakepond1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights quit working 2000 DAKOTA Sport 4x4

I have a 2000 DAKOTA Sport extended cab 4x4 318 motor. Suddenly the headlights started flickering. Then the low beams went out. When I would turn on high beams then off the low beams would come on then go out again after about 30 seconds. Now I lost the high and low beams. When I pull the turnsignal to turn on the high beams I hear a pretty loud clicking sound from the front of the truck close to the headlights, cant really tell where it's coming from, but lights not coming on now at all. I read some other threads and they mentioned the Control Timing Module. Would this be my problem with the headlights? Also they say the CTM is located behind the drivers side kick panel. But there is nothing behind the kick panel at all except a thin layer of like insulation. Pulled the insulation back and nothing but red painted metal of the side of the cab. Can anyone please help with what the issue with the headlights might be and if it is the CTM where do I find it? I did buy and replace the headlight switch and checked the headlight relay under the hood with no improvements. Please help. Thank you.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:16 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The good news is that it is NOT the ctm. The CTM does not control the headlights in a 2000 Dakota. The click you hear is the headlight flasher relay - normal.

Each headlight has it's own fuse and it feeds directly to the headlight. The grounds are switched, not the feed. The grounds from the headlights go to the multifunction (dimmer) switch and then through the headlight switch to ground. Pass to flash bypasses the headlight switch.

Both share a common ground. Since the lights don't work at all It sounds like a bad ground, G200. It's located on the lower left of the instrument panel near where the dash pivots.

You don't have the 318 engine, just FYI. It wasn't available in '00.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Jakepond1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I will check the ground when I get home from work today. I will let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Headlights quit working 2000 DAKOTA Sport 4x4