2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Steering Shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 01:45 AM
blue2002quadcab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Shaft replacement

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Quad Cab 3.9L V6 RWD...
Gents, I found that I have a very loose U joint on the intermediate steering shaft that leads from my steering wheel shaft to my rack and pinion...basically is bolts to the steering wheel shaft under my brake booster and connects to my rack and pinion. the one I have on my truck now is made so that it can vary in length like a "telescope"...no, this is not the telescopic steering inside the car this is under the hood....I can pull on it and make it longer or push on it and make it shorter (the steering shaft that is). I have been looking online for a replacement shaft and I keep getting Dorman as a replacement shaft, but I do not know if can vary in length like the one I have. Do all intermediate shafts "telescope" like the one currently installed on my truck? it appears it would be easier to replace the shaft than it would be to install a new U-joint...Feedback and answers great appreciated...

Old 07-16-2018, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Yeah, the shafts are designed that way so that they collapse in the event of a front end collision, instead of stuffing the steering wheel thru your chest. The aftermarket replacement fellers will be the same basic design. There are aftermarket companies that make those shafts as well, with u-joints on both ends. (no rag joint, which I am not sure if your truck even has one....)

Old 07-16-2018, 02:36 PM
blue2002quadcab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, the shafts are designed that way so that they collapse in the event of a front end collision, instead of stuffing the steering wheel thru your chest. The aftermarket replacement fellers will be the same basic design. There are aftermarket companies that make those shafts as well, with u-joints on both ends. (no rag joint, which I am not sure if your truck even has one....)
No mine does not have that upper Rag joint and I cant seem to find any aftermarket companies that make one to match the one I have on my truck...still looking. I am guessing here but I would imagine I could use one with that Rag joint if I cant find one provided I have the clearance under my brake booster

Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Have a look here. Bottom one. Think that involves the shaft in the column as well.

Quick Reply: Steering Shaft replacement