2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket radio, power but not sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
On the truck side of the radio harness the amp remote on wire should be dark green with an orange stripe. Connect the blue/white to this wire to turn on the factory amplifier.

Jimmy
Just bumping this for this completely correct answer.

It will be the same wire on the head-unit that you ran to the remote-on for the new amp...so, that one blue/white wire will turn on two amps...

Old 07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

^what he said. I bought my HU from crutchfield for the free support and the free vehicle harness. They sent the infinity amp adapter wire. I just teed my aftermarket amp to that wire, and grounded the amp to the right front passenger seat bolt, with amp under the pass seat.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Kenny Nak

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
Do you have the infinity speaker setup? If so, you have what is called a Pre-Amp for the factory speakers. If the pre-amp is not hooked up, the cd player will play, but no sound will come out of the speakers. I'm assuming you had one wire left over that wasnt used on the aftermarket adapter? Most likely you did.

I had the same problem. Once the pre-amp wire was hooked up, everything worked a-okay. Make sure you dont run the aftermarket amp's power wire down the same side as your audio wires to the amp. You'll get a lot of interference and static in the subs. Just trust me, move the audio wires to the opposite side of the truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/B109538E9F6C4381ADCA32B7BD6CC6C5.jpg[/IMG]

Just click on the picture itself, and when the new window pops up, right click on it and choose save as. Once you have saved it to your pc, you can view it properly. It's blurry otherwise. It will explain all the wires and just make sure you have everything wired up correctly. Most likely, you will have a blue wire on the harness for your aftermarket radio that isnt being used. That will need to be hooked up. Also, you'll need to ground the stereo properly. Read the diagram.
You noticed the extra infinity wire, where do I attach this?

Old 04-01-2017, 05:28 AM
papajack51@gmail.com
Default Thes Posts fixed my no sound on 1999 Durango speakers

Some of the people on this problem of no sound after installing an aftermarket sound system solved my problem here in 2017, 11 years after some of the comments were written. I have the same problem with my '99 Durango. The suggestions here worked. It was mentioned that if you have the Infinity system in your truck, you need to connect a blue wire from the new unit that will power on a separate amplifier for the Infinity speakers. I just thought that since the speakers were labeled on the truck door as Infinity that all it meant was that's the brand of the speakers. Well I connected the blue wire to the connector and the new CD/Radio/DVD Player/backup camera/bluetooth/usb/microSD system works great.

Thanks to everyone back in 2006 and 2007 that suggested this fix.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio, power but not sound