2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Aftermarket radio, power but not sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 03:37 AM
dlebret
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio, power but not sound

2000 Dakota

Trying to install aftermarket Head Unit and Amplifier. Got wiring kit, everything soldered and taped good. When I go to hook the radio clips to the factory radio clips, I get power on my radio but no sound out of speakers. Tested speaker leads off head unit with another speaker(just to test HU) got sound, (but nothing out of original truck speakers). Grounded after market HU to the clip that was hooked to the back of the factory radio.

Hooked the factory radio back up, it worked like normal. One thing I did find out is that the factory radio does not even power on, unless the antenna is hooked-up.

Do I need a antenna adapter for aftermarket head Unit? The amplifier works, got bass, but no sound out of factory speakers. Any ideas, please help

Old 01-15-2006, 03:02 AM
BlackDak07
Rookie
Default RE: Aftermarket radio, power but not sound

make sure your speaker terminals are not grounded (touching metal)......i had a simular problem

Old 01-15-2006, 11:57 AM
nomadrider

Wonder if the truck speakers are using the original plug as the ground for the speakers. Have you tried grounding the radio with it's own ground wire?

Paul Sr.

Old 01-15-2006, 03:30 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: dlebret

2000 Dakota

Trying to install aftermarket Head Unit and Amplifier. Got wiring kit, everything soldered and taped good. When I go to hook the radio clips to the factory radio clips, I get power on my radio but no sound out of speakers. Tested speaker leads off head unit with another speaker(just to test HU) got sound, (but nothing out of original truck speakers). Grounded after market HU to the clip that was hooked to the back of the factory radio.

Hooked the factory radio back up, it worked like normal. One thing I did find out is that the factory radio does not even power on, unless the antenna is hooked-up.

Do I need a antenna adapter for aftermarket head Unit? The amplifier works, got bass, but no sound out of factory speakers. Any ideas, please help
Do you have the infinity speaker setup? If so, you have what is called a Pre-Amp for the factory speakers. If the pre-amp is not hooked up, the cd player will play, but no sound will come out of the speakers. I'm assuming you had one wire left over that wasnt used on the aftermarket adapter? Most likely you did.

I had the same problem. Once the pre-amp wire was hooked up, everything worked a-okay. Make sure you dont run the aftermarket amp's power wire down the same side as your audio wires to the amp. You'll get a lot of interference and static in the subs. Just trust me, move the audio wires to the opposite side of the truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19085/B109538E9F6C4381ADCA32B7BD6CC6C5.jpg[/IMG]

Just click on the picture itself, and when the new window pops up, right click on it and choose save as. Once you have saved it to your pc, you can view it properly. It's blurry otherwise. It will explain all the wires and just make sure you have everything wired up correctly. Most likely, you will have a blue wire on the harness for your aftermarket radio that isnt being used. That will need to be hooked up. Also, you'll need to ground the stereo properly. Read the diagram.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:31 PM
Radman
Rookie

This may sound stupid but I gotta tell you want happened to me... I removed the fuse
to my dome lights because I was having problems with them not timing off one day.
I didn't have time to figure out why they were not shutting off (figured it was the CTM)
and I had to get to work.

I went to turn the radio ON and all I heard was a thump from the systems factory amp.
No clock or radio station was displayed. I tried it a few times and nothing but the thump
telling me the amp came on ok..

When I got back from work that same day I reinstalled the DOME light fuse and the
radio worked just fine. There is a fuse for the radio so I pulled it for the heck of it.
The radio went dead including the amp on thump. Also the dome lights worked normal
again...

Just thought I'd pass this bit of info along.. Maybe just maybe something like that is
your problem...

Mine is a 02 Dakota with Factory radio..

Good luck

Old 06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
toomuchfoya
Default Power, no sound help

I had an aftermarket alpine deck installed in my 2006 dakota. The truck has the alpine 6 speaker system and the factory amp has been bypassed. when it first got installed, everything worked amazingly. after about a week i had no sound right when i turned on the truck. and i had sound the night before, which is why i was confused. the installer told me my pre-amp blew so i had the deck swapped over, everything worked fine again. after about 6 hours i turned my truck back on and once again, no sound. at this point im extremely pissed off because its a 250 dollar deck. can anybody provide any insight?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

u might wanna try asking this in the 3rd gen dakota section, the wiring from 2nd to 3rd gen is prolly different

Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont know a whole lot about sound systems and everything but you said you were also installing a new amp so is it turning on when the radio is turned on?

Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 AM
McNasy
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you have the blue or blue/white wire from your install kit hooked up to the factory amp turn on wire. the kit may not have included that wire in the connector so you may need to tap into it yourself. not sure off hand what color the trucks wire color is.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On the truck side of the radio harness the amp remote on wire should be dark green with an orange stripe. Connect the blue/white to this wire to turn on the factory amplifier.

Jimmy

The following users liked this post:
V8Cowboy (04-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio, power but not sound